September 29, 2023

Summer 2023

The spiral staircase from the train platform is currently under construction. Wait, let me rephrase. The spiral staircase from the train platform is finally under construction. It's been a year since I walked down and discovered I had to jump the last 3 steps. It's also been about a year since I met my train buddy. 

The staircase was a shortcut that allowed me to bypass some morning rush-hour traffic jams - people and cars. Without it, I began queuing up with the other commuters - college students, clinicians, police officers, lawyers - after getting off the train to make the exodus through the station waiting room door, down the stairs to the busy intersection. That's where I met my friend, Mike, who holds the station doors with a smile for the impatient crowd, every morning. Every. Morning.  A few weeks later, amidst the archaic jostling of metal as we stood between train cars, I asked him what made him begin to hold the door. Surprised, he thought about it. "I don't know. Well, I'm in no rush..." he considered.

Since then, we've talked about our jobs, the recent World Cups (men's and women's), our family Christmas traditions, our favorite local bakery (the one we have to get to right at opening), our experiences traveling in Ireland. We've swapped stories about how we each came to faith and family summer holiday photos. There's a rhythm now, on the days when we catch the same train home. Regardless of whether I just barely slipped on before the door closed or I had some time to journal while waiting leisurely for the train, I can look forward to sliding into an old-timey, artificial leather bench seat across from his and see where our conversation will lead us for the next 15 minutes. All I can do is marvel at the joys of unexpected friendships.

Click to view the photo journal

Loving lately:

Amaretto Coffee Basque Cheesecake (Crystelle Pereira with Food52)

Cookies For Cancer (Cooking with Lynja)

Make Your Own Chewy-Bouncy-Slurpy Noodles (Bon Appetit)

Foods That German Kids Love and Hate (Easy German)

A Note for Nature – RTÉ One | Christy Moore (Creative Ireland)

Svävar (Julia Andersson)

Early Morning Still (Benjamin Torrens)

Lamb of God (Matt Redman) and Gotteslamm (German version by Urban Life Worship)

How To Become Wise | 1 Kings 3:7-9 (N.T. Wright Online)

Where Do You Find Hope? | Lamentations 3:22-24 (N.T. Wright Online)

Cultivating a Courageous Spirit (Ben Stuart)

My Heart: Christ's Home (Robert Munger, 4 pages)

Rev. Eugene Cho (Dream Big Podcast with Bob Goff)

No comments:

Post a Comment