August 4, 2023

Fieldnotes from Costa Rica


I heard a writer describe the traveler’s eyes as “the eyes of love—disoriented and incredibly curious," attentive to the micro and the macro-view of their surroundings, immersed in noticing, full of wonder. 

We spent a week in Costa Rica, where my senses were awakened by the disorientation and awe of being in a place so different from anywhere I've ever been. Long days spent under aggressive sunlight and stifling heat made me sip greedily on water and apply sunscreen religiously. I ran to the ocean to cool down and feel the sting of the Pacific's salty spray, the chaos of sand swirling around my feet. Between my teeth, a caramelized cacao bean shattered into rich, bitter shards. Waxy, pre-historically sized elephant ears ("the poor man's umbrella") hovered along a path to the volcano's viewpoint. Our van traced up and down winding, hilly roads outlined by hydrangea bushes in full bloom. We walked back to our AirBNBs along dusty roads under the shush of palm fronds, wondering if we'd see the capuchins or red macaws again. Costa Rica's rich biodiversity is unparalleled.


No comments:

Post a Comment