June 1, 2023

Spring 2023

I've come back to this page several times over the month of May, each time with the same writer's block. Ideas come and go, but nothing has stuck. So much has been simmering, decisions big and small; so much life has happened, and I'm grateful for both the daily joys and the milestones. Yet as significant as the growth and learning appear in hindsight, the changes have felt subtle, like I'm undergoing cardiopulmonary training after heart surgery; like I'm sinking deeper in developing a skill after learning the fundamental basics; like I'm being refined rather than molded from scratch, over and over. 

If we run with the image of a lump of clay, I think the overarching takeaways from the last 3 months have involved revelations of what the Potter wanted to mold me into even before I was created - there's the thread - I see it now! and wait, didn't You just show me something similar three weeks ago? and so that's what You've been doing all along? Even as I write this, Spotify plays a new song in the background with the words "You're the Potter, I'm the clay, so show Your glory with my story" (Jeremiah 18:1-4 and 2 Timothy 2:21). 

Today, I have a better understanding of why I felt called to leave Boston almost 2 years ago, why I needed to study Spanish throughout college when professors explicitly advised against it, why I was placed in a season of wandering for 6 months, why it took so long to pick up the pieces of my heart 5 years ago (and I'm glad now it took that long). Question marks still loom, but these connections are fueling me for this next leg in my apprenticeship. I'll let you know what it looks like in 3 months!

Spring 2023 iPhone Photo Journal

Costa Rica 2023 iPhone Photo Journal

Good things:

Atlas of the Heart (Brené Brown)

Community Serving's Dinners4Dads - just in time for Father's Day!

On how to be a creative person with a job (The Creative Independent)

Paris on the Fujifilm XH2s (Roman Fox - so good)

Street Photography & Blending In - A Practical Guide (Roman Fox - with b-roll from one of my favorite places)

Supersized Wontons at Maxi’s Noodle (NYT Cooking)

This Man Makes 3,000+ Bagels by Hand Every Day | On the Job | Priya Krishna (NYT Cooking)

America’s Farmers are Suffering: José Andrés and Senator Cory Booker (Longer Tables)

Gotteslamm - (Lamb of God) (Urban Life Worship)

What a special couple of days // Singalong with Tiffany Hudson, Matt Maher & Leeland (Phil Wickham)

"We are mobilized when Christ is the passion of our lives and the cause of Christ guides our life decisions" (Jeff Lewis in God's Heart for the Nations). 

The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry: How to Stay Emotionally Healthy and Spiritually Alive in the Chaos of the Modern World (John Mark Comer)

The True Cost of Tuna: Marine Observers Dying at Sea (Civil Eats)

No comments:

Post a Comment