October 24, 2021

iPhone Photo Journal: Viaggio a Italia

 

I'm a big believer that your best camera is the one you always have on you. 

Well, when traveling, I always have my trusty (albeit clunky) camera slung over my shoulder, at the hip ready to fire away for photos. But it takes a while to cull and edit through nearly 30 GB worth of photos, and it'll take even longer to piece video clips into a cohesive story. 

As pixelated as its photos might be relative to a DSLR's, the convenience of capturing and editing directly on my phone, an older model that fits neatly into the front pocket of my jeans, still makes my phone a valuable tool. Plus, as a wanna-be-but-not-quite-there-yet street photographer, I can pretend to reposition my bag's strap around my shoulder, phone in hand, while inconspicuously capturing a few local personalities without disrupting the scene. I have yet to master Valérie Jardin's effortless composition - many of my photos end up blurry or with the subjects' appearing only half-way in the frame - but sometimes, I get lucky with a solid photo, and hey, luck is one of the elements of successful street photography. (Side note: Valérie presented to Boston Camera Club last year and is a fantastic educator! If you're remotely interested in street photography, check out her portfolio and workshops.)

On any given day, my camera roll is more reflective of my daily rhythms. When traveling, it's likely to hold some scenes I felt too shy to publicly capture on camera or were too fleeting to be exposed, framed, and shot in a pinch. As I chip away at editing, I'm excited to share both a sneak peak and unique perspective on our week in Italy. 

I assure you that they were not posing! If memory serves, they merely stopped and appeared to be looking for their destination.

Click here to view a pdf version of the 48-paged iPhone photo journal. 

For optimal viewing, I recommend clicking on the 3 dots by the right hand side of your screen (near the printer icon) and selecting "Two page view."

No comments:

Post a Comment