November 7, 2021

My Guide to Boston

With more universities than you can count on four hands, Boston may be a popular place to study in, but it's underrated as a place to travel to. I had the privilege of living in this beautiful city for (almost) two years (thanks, COVID), and though she's taught me to primarily associate "home" with people, there's no denying there have been some pretty special places that contributed to my sense of belonging.

The following guide, consisting of recommended places to visit and eat at by location/neighborhood, speaks to the things that made me tick, both as a visitor and a resident. A graduate student who grew up surrounded by farms and the woods, I frequented green spaces as often as possible and spent far too much time studying Google Maps in my spare time, charting the next to explore. What Boston lacks in her food scene, she sure makes up for in her parks. 

Since I didn't have a car, nearly all of the places on this list are accessible by public transportation, and if you have the time, try walking as much as possible. You'll discover gorgeous hydrangea bushes and charming brownstones that way. Since I lived in Brookline, I got to know her and the surrounding areas better than places across the Charles River, which are less convenient to access by the T; you'll find that my recommendations are concentrated along the green lines. 

As a lot has evolved, be sure to check official websites or call ahead to plan your visits. And if you visit any of these gems, please let me know! 

The photos in this blogpost are primarily new ones from a walk in July, but if you'd like to see more from Boston, navigate to my Travel page and check out the links under "Massachusetts." I've also pieced together a video (17:36) in an attempt to encapsulate the sights, sounds, movements, and human beans that made up my wonderful time there. 

Need to skip ahead to the guide? Click here to view the pdf version (6 pages).

Olaf




Museum tips:

  • If you’re a Boston resident, open a Boston Public Library (BPL) account and put those museum passes to good use! If you are a Brookline resident, you can get reciprocal access to Boston Public Library’s materials and museum passes. From personal experience, I discovered the BPL aquarium pass grants free admission for 4 people, but the Brookline aquarium pass grants discounted admission for 4 people.
  • Bank of America cardholders also get free access to select partner museums during the 1st weekend of every month through Museums on Us. Call ahead to check whether reservations are required. Prior to 2020, showing up to the ticket office with your Bank of America credit or debit card sufficed.
  • Select museums also grant free access (with prior registration) during Smithsonian Museum Days
  • Calling all Tufts students! You get free access to the Museum of Fine Arts.
  • Consider for kids: Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum, Boston Children’s Museum, Franklin Park Zoo

Transportation tip: Throughout 2020-2021, Amtrak offered surprisingly low rates. Instead of the traffic-heavy, time-consuming route from South Station to Port Authority by bus and then a train from Penn Station to my hometown, I saved both time and money by taking a direct train from Back Bay Station to my hometown! If you’re able to ride the train along the east coast up to Boston, I recommend finding a seat on the right side (facing the front car) of the train for excellent views. If you’re traveling southbound from Boston, sit on the left side.

Community Organizations: ACDC, Brookline Food Pantry, Food Solutions New England, Greater Boston Food Bank, Brookline Housing Authority, MSPCA-Angell

Creative Communities: America's Test Kitchen, Boston Camera Club, Cambridge Food Lab, Edible Boston, Griffin Museum of Photography

Faith Communities: Mosaic Church, Citylife Presbyterian, City on a Hill, Boston Healthcare Fellowship, Leon de Judah

Dave and Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment