July 25, 2021

The North End

 

This past month, I've been rolling myself out of bed around dawn. There's something special about soft morning colors, the shimmer of dew clinging to the grass, a city still sleeping, and a cool breeze not yet interrupted by the summer sun. As a creature of habit, I love developing and maintaining a sacred routine. Lately, it's consisted of coffee, quiet time with God, something new to read, and devices on airplane mode. 

But shaking things up is also nourishing to the soul. Sometimes, it's just a matter of putting those oxfords on with a train ticket and camera in hand to reacquaint me with the spirit of adventure. A few weeks ago, that's just what I did. Instead of listening to the world wake up as I tap away at applications and essays, I decided to go see what Boston's North End (and Financial District) looked like as it woke up. 

Renato, who had just gotten off the phone with his brother in Brooklyn's Bay Ridge
8 am with the nicest guys at Engine 8, Ladder 1. "Here, let me get out of the way. I'm just the lazy guy drinkin' coffee!" 
Lazy?! Hardly.
Fabio.
May I take your portrait? "Duh, of course!"
I noticed this gentleman at Thinking Cup from across the street. I turned around and crossed, hoping he'd still be there. He gave the biggest smile and enthusiastic nod when I gestured to my camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment