February 28, 2021

Chocolate Olive Oil Cupcakes with a Secret 2-Ingredient Frosting

 

There are more reasons to eat cake than you'd think.

My step back from social media taught me a few things. The lesson most relevant to these cupcakes is to look for other sources of inspiration. I've made a lot of things that fed the same, dominant visual narrative. My work was boring; I got tired of photography. During this clarifying break, I was introduced to new writing, ideas, photos, and videos that made me think and feel. I want to make things that make people feel, too! 

These cupcakes came out of that desire (and a convenient opportunity to feed the nutrition department). Some weekends, I'd sit down and study other videos, lighting setups, solo b-roll techniques. Over dinner, I'd learn about color grading and "LUTs" (... quite frankly, I'm still a little fuzzy on that concept). During the moments before I'd fall asleep, I'd find myself crawling out of bed, fumbling for a post-it and pen to get an idea for a creative camera angle down before it goes away.  

By no means do I claim this video is more than a vlog of me baking, but this new way of storyboarding, filming, and editing are my first steps towards pursuing thoughtful visual projects that are hopefully more thought-provoking and meaningful. 


Chocolate Olive Oil Cupcakes
Recipe: Smitten Kitchen (Deb Perelman)

195g all-purpose flour
60g unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1.5 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp kosher salt
150g granulated sugar
145g brown sugar
0.5 cups (195mL) olive oil
1.5 cups (355mL) coffee 
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and granulated sugar. Add brown sugar and olive oil. Whisk to combine. Whisk in water and vinegar until smooth. 

Pour into cupcake liners. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with only a few sticky crumbs. Cool completely before frosting (recipe below). 

Secret 2-ingredient Chocolate Frosting

1-2 medium-sized sweet potatoes
200g of 70% (or higher) dark chocolate

Steam or boil the potatoes until fork tender. Let them cool slightly. 

While the potatoes are cooling, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave (30 seconds, mix well, then 15 second intervals afterwards if needed). 

Mash the potatoes well with a fork (ideally, a food processor). Add the melted chocolate and mix well (ideally with a food processor or hand mixer). 


No comments:

Post a Comment