December 9, 2018

Smitten Kitchen's Oat and Maple Syrup Scones with Maple Almond Butter Drizzle

My mom taught me to never show up empty-handed, so when the Eggleston's invited me over, I knew I needed (and wanted!) to bring something to show my appreciation. 

I rely on food gifts, and I trusted that my first stab at this scone recipe would yield solid results - Smitten Kitchen's Deb Perelman has never steered me wrong. If you're not a fan of scones, I don't blame you - you probably haven't had a very good one! I find that bakeries can butcher muffins and scones very easily. They're too dense, too crumbly, too dry, flavorless... 

This recipe, however, will give you tender scones that are a bit healthier (thanks to some whole wheat flour and oats). The touch of sweetness from the maple almond butter drizzle and toasted pecans will beg you to make a pot of coffee to serve alongside. 

The season of Advent is far greater and more meaningful than holiday playlists and hot chocolate, but as I shuffle through finals, the only things (other than the pathophysiology of diseases) that've been on my mind are my "to-read" list, seeing my family, and a plate of warm baked goods waiting by an unfinished jigsaw puzzle... Just a few more days, just a few more days!

Oat and Maple Syrup Scones with Maple Almond Butter Drizzle

1 batch of baked Oat and Maple Syrup Scones (Recipe from Smitten Kitchen)

1/4 cup of almond butter* 
1 tablespoon of maple syrup 
1-2 tablespoons of warmed almond milk

1/2 cup of raw pecans

Toast the pecans in an oven preheated to 350*F for 15-20 minutes or in a pan over medium heat until fragrant and crisp. Allow the pecans to cool for a few minutes before giving them a rough chop. 

In a small bowl, mix the almond butter, maple syrup, and warmed almond milk with a fork. Add more almond milk if the mixture is too stiff; it should be pourable. 

Drizzle the maple almond butter over the scones and immediately sprinkle over the pecans.


*The 100% natural kind that's very thin and pourable. Make your own or buy in bulk to save a few bucks (Costco's Kirkland brand is great).

No comments:

Post a Comment