February 21, 2018

My Favorite Things about Cruising

Sneaky capture of our Ukranian buddy, Sergei. He's one of the funniest guys we met!
If given the choice, a week-long cruise or a week-long trip in one city, which would you pick?

There are clear pros and cons to both: cruising is great, because you get to see a variety of places in one short trip and you get more opportunities to interact with people from all over the world (crew members and other guests). At the same time, the short few hours you spend at port each day isn't suffice. You can't adequately capture "the essence" of a place, and if you get sea sick, the bumpy waves of the Baltic Sea might not be very enjoyable.

With a trip to a single place, you're more likely to explore life as a local. You develop new routines, like going to the same bakery every morning, where the servers come to know your order. Staying put enables you to maximize the opportunities in the city, too - a city like St. Petersburg has museums and palaces to keep you entertained for years. On the other hand, depending on where you stay - a hostel, a private hotel room, an uber private apartment - the level of interaction with locals and other travelers might not be very high.



If forced to make a choice, I would choose the latter. My tendency of making a bucketlist for every place I go to begets a drive to know a place in its entirety - or at least attempt to. Perhaps the 21st century value of "roughing it", with college students backpacking with limited budgets as frequently as they attend parties, also speaks to me...Yet this past trip offered the best of both worlds: the opportunity to be a "regular" and to forge friendships with people from all over the world.

During our stay on the Serenade of the Seas, an older ship from Royal Caribbean's "Radiance" class, I couldn't help but feel like Zack and Cody Martin running around the S. S. Tipton. The longer trip afforded me the opportunity to build relationships with the crew members and feel at home. One of the general managers in the Windjammer (the universal name of all Royal Caribbean buffets), George, even looked like the S. S. Tipton's security guard, Kirby :'-)!

In all seriousness (well actually, I'm quite serious about him looking like Kirby, too), this cruise was the first time we had the opportunity to get to know the people around us. Past trips were too short and took place with friends; traveling with friends is fun, but the comfort of a social group discourages me from making new friends. Memories of learning Portuguese from Eduardo, dreaming about Mauritius with Jabeer, practicing Spanish with George (Jorge), and laughing at Sergei's jokes are near and dear to my heart. I still think of our comparisons of American and Australian healthcare and government with Peter and Carrie, and our lesson on apartheid from Mike and Neva. I've even taped little notes - a list of castles to visit in Romania from Liviu, and an "obrigado" note from Renata - in my journal.

I'm getting too carried away... In no particular order, here are some of my favorite things about cruising:

1. Early mornings overlooking the water
Hearing the waves lap up against the side of the boat as I journaled in my favorite wicker chair was incredibly peaceful. Older couples would be chatting with one another around me, Eduardo would stop by and ask if I was writing a book. These days, I sit in my dark dorm room or in the library to write far less thoughtful journal entries... It's not quite the same! 
2. Indulging in re-watching TV episodes with my brother
Mike and Molly, Chicago Fire... I think those were the select shows that were played on the stateroom TVs. We didn't spend much time in our rooms, but given how my brother and I are rarely in the same place, I enjoyed watching the same episodes with him over and over again. 
Origami class on an unexpected day at sea - it was too windy to dock in Riga, Latvia. Origami may seem silly, but we met a family from the Bay Area during this class - we all got talking, and turns out, the mom majored in nutrition! Little connections just make me so happy. 
3. The outdoor track
I'm lucky to have some really beautiful running trails around me in Ithaca, but nothing beats running with a view of an endless, blue sea or the skyline of a beautiful city (especially at sunset). The winds were pretty rough sometimes; I'm sure I made a sight of myself as I tried not to get blown away. 
4. Lectures and presentations
This ship was smaller, serving guests that were mostly older adults or families with older children. The typical kid-friendly cruise advertisements you see on television, the large ships with outdoor waterslides and robot bartenders, are sailing the calm Caribbean seas. Trips like those don't tend to run as long as a 14 day route around the Baltics. 

This ship didn't have as many bells and whistles, but I loved it nonetheless. During our days at sea, we attended a few lectures, like Russian History and Sailing the Polynesians in a Catamaran. All were so inspiring! 
5. Being surrounded by people from all over the world 
I've come to learn that what makes travel special to me is being reminded of how finite my American experiences are within the context of the greater world. There's so many more stories and ways of life out there, but I get stuck in a bubble too easily.

- Disclaimer, I'm going to get so cheese-y, but I mean it sincerely - 

Most importantly, however, interacting with people from different countries and walks of life grounds me in the commonalities we share. In a world that's too quick to speak and reluctant to listen, differences are highlighted and arguments catch like wildfire. During this past trip, I was confronted repeatedly by the humanity that unites us all - our love for laughter, our curiosities and penchant for learning. People's differences seem so much less important when you actually talk to them. It's true that people tend to be nicer when they're on vacation, but I still think there's something very special about a mutual eagerness to strike conversation with strangers as opposed to scrolling through your phone.

tltr: You travel for the sights, but you return for the people.
6. Dance lessons in the Centrum
Learning the salsa and bachata is way more fun than elementary school ballet, especially when you don't care who's watching - when are you going to see these people again? Plus, everyone's just having fun!
7. Music and performances
Live music took place all over the ship all day long. How can you not love that?! The talent was so tangible, and I loved leaning over a balcony to soak up good music before bed.

Cruises are also known for their headliners - evening shows varied, but there were some that I really enjoyed - I fan-girled and got to meet Elio Pace after his show. He is the nicest guy ever! I have never had the desire to speak with a musician after a performance, but he just blew me away. I'm a total sucker for Elvis Presley, Billy Joel, and all the old school classics - kinda worked out that most of the performances were geared towards adults in their 50's-60's...

If you want to a taste of his musical genius, watch this video:

8. Chocolate chip cookies
I have to admit that I'm so particular that even cruise food doesn't get me very excited. However, given my pickiness, I was incredibly surprised and excited to discover how much I loved their chocolate chip cookies. (I know, I'm so silly!)
9. Outdoor movies
The strong winds don't make outdoor movies very attractive, but who can say no to re-watching Emma Watson in Beauty and the Beast?! Bundle up with one of the furry blankets they offer and grab hot tea - the cold is completely worth it. 
Honorable mentions: 
mini golf (I think the picture on the left is hilarious - I was freezing after dinner, yet my dad insisted on my mom and I watching him challenge my brother to a game of golf) 
and star gazing from the helicopter pad (we didn't get to do that during this trip, but on past trips, especially in warmer areas, you'll want to chase the stars forever. Shooting stars are 1000x easier to detect when you're in the middle of the ocean, far away from light pollution!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment