September 9, 2022

Photo Journal: Summer 2022

Every three months, I sit down for a seasonal check-in to reflect on what's happened, reconsider the baggage I need to let go of, and set a few intentions for the next season. Essentially, I try to reconnect and recalibrate. 

Of everything that happened, a few small, recurring moments play over and over in my mind, and they haven't required my seasonal check-in to stir it up. 

There's an older gentleman with sharp, blue eyes who holds the door for everyone exiting the train station I arrive to every morning. He rides the same train, and instead of swinging it wide open to scurry through, or leaving his hand just long enough for the person behind to catch it, he gathers his briefcase and lunch in one hand and holds the door with the other, just as a doorman would, politely declining offers to "go ahead" until everyone else has passed through. His simple, humble, generous, daily practice of otherness, during a time of day when it's so easy to operate on autopilot and savor the last bits of me-time before the work day begins, has left deep impressions. 

Most days, he's already at the door by the time I get off, but there have been a few mornings when I've gotten to return the favor. I can't forget the twinkle in his eyes and the wide grin that spread across his face that first time it was his turn to walk through. 

Just a few days ago, one of the police officers who regularly rides with us has begun insisting I pass by him to disembark the train first. He, too, has been another inspiring character. I often wonder about his story, how he got to know all of the train conductors and ticket office agents he waves to from afar like a known regular. He responds back to noisy freeloaders with a smile and words that don't shut conversations down. 

Considering it all now, I think meditating on these morning moments is a personal lesson on what it means to apply Philippians 4:8, to dwell on what is righteous, pure, noble, admirable. I love that these guys doesn't withhold simple, yet meaningful, acts of kindness. Rather, they continue to offer it regularly to everyone who passes by, noticing their human-ness and acknowledging their presence.

There are few other things, maybe besides animal therapy, cooking, and regular periods of time on airplane mode, that cover me in such peace like replaying these morning moments and imagining what goodness these familiar strangers may be up to throughout the rest of the day.


Click to view a pdf version of the photo journal


Things I've been loving:

Photo Essay: The Next Generation of DC Central Kitchen Chefs (Civil Eats): One of my buddies from grad school worked as a dietitian with DC Central Kitchen. I remember hearing about the inspiring, redemptive, restorative work during orientation when we first met, and seeing this beautiful photo essay break up the clutter in my inbox slowed my pace to hold space for something special. 

A Classic Hong Kong Diner Dish that Came from British Rule: "This is my favorite story to tell of how the good people of Hong Kong reacted to a hundred years of colonialism." Lucas Sin graduated from Yale and is now the chef of Nice Day Chinese and Junzi Kitchen. Of note, there's a whole string of Ivy Leaguers who have invested their brilliance and imagination into cooking: Dorie Greenspan (Columbia), Eric Kim (Columbia), Joanne Chang (Harvard), Claire Saffitz (Harvard), Genevieve Ko (Yale)...Not that I'm keeping score. 

Doorman Guzmin's Best Advice, which was inspired by the true Modern Love story, Open-Hearted Doorman (Guzim). He reminds me so much of Officer Richard, Carole, Woodson, some of my beloved neighborhood pals from Boston. If you can't get enough of these clips, read the full story, When the Doorman is Your Main Man, and the interview with the author, To Her, He Was More Than a Doorman

In converted buses and tin-roof sheds, migrant students get a lesson in hope (NPR)

James Corden Pays The White House a Visit is a reminder to be unabashedly ourselves and laugh as often as possible. 

Letter-writing is not dead! with the charming Rajiv Surendra. Someone introduced me to him as their "favorite human," and he quickly became one of mine, too. And if you're not into letter writing, you must (repeat, must) watch his NYC apartment tour. What a renaissance man. 

Speaking of home tours! These NYC-based Paris-Inspired Apartment and Insane $1,300 Rent-Stabilized Apartment tours from Homeworthy will also tickle your imagination. The second reminded me ever so slightly of my first Boston apartment with the crown molding, in-room (non-functional) fireplace, and antique charm. (Reality check though, because you know me: my apartment was as dark as a cave, the building had no AC and was infested with bugs during the summer, and I'm pretty sure I developed second-hand highs from a neighbor more than I'd have preferred.)

New York's Most Diverse Neighborhood, Inside Saudi Arabia, and many other videos by Peter Santanello that have thoroughly entertained, educated, and inspired me on the treadmill. In exploring Peter's content, I also came across his collaboration with photographer Mark Laita, whose integrity permeates his professional creative work. Mark embodies one of my favorite quotes by Frederick Buechner, "The place where God calls you to is where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." He's a professional photographer (a darn good one, might I add) who gave up a career in advertising to create a platform for lesser heard voices: fentanyl addicts, prostitutes, ex-cops, transgender people, people from Appalachia, even the KKK. Check out his website, Soft White Underbelly, and his YouTube channel trailer. Unsurprisingly, his trailer is several minutes longer than most 20-30 second clips, another indication of his counter-cultural, slow-form work. 

In Ukraine, Gruesome Injuries and Not Enough Doctors to Treat Them (NYT): The photos are a harrowing reminder that the war is still very real and active.

Rediscovered CityAlight, a bittersweet reminder of family at Citylife Chestnut Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment