June 27, 2021

Tempeh Taco Salad and Green Goddess Dressing


Few things are as gratifying as hearing Will say, "Hmm... I like that!"

Though known to have a strong appetite, my brother's palate seems more fickle when it comes to anything I make. During my few weeks at home, I was pleasantly surprised to hear his approval on a handful of things I made, this salad included. 

There's something about the tang and freshness that wakes up my senses as the summer afternoon heat starts to pick up. And with corn and tomatoes appearing at the farmers market soon, this will get even better with seasonal produce. 

The salad: I was inspired by a recipe on 101 Cookbooks and tailored it to suit my own taste using the limited ingredients in our spice cabinet. Head over to Heidi's website for the full list of ingredients and steps. Next time around, I'll make an herby, avocado-based green goddess dressing (my recipe below) instead of the ketchup vinaigrette. 

Green Goddess Dressing

1 ripe avocado
juice of 1 lemon (or 1.5 limes)
1 whole clove of garlic
1 cup of herbs (parsley, cilantro, basil, scallions, chives)

1/4-1/2 cup of water 

salt & pepper (to taste)
splash of apple cider vinegar (to taste)

To a blender, add the avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs. Add 1/4 cup of water and start blending. If you need more water to blend, add it by the tablespoon. For a "crema" consistency, limit the amount of water you add. For a pourable dressing consistency, add 1/2 cup of water (or as much as needed). 

Transfer the dressing to a clean container. Add salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment