June 14, 2020

Hello from Hungary: The Pest Side

I didn't have a car to drive in college, and with an infrequent public transportation system, I got used to walking. The repetitive motion of walking through my usual paths gave me time to clear my head and calm down in the middle of an agenda-filled day without worrying I'd miss my destination. 

Walking also helped me see my campus differently. I noticed when my favorite trees started changing color. I paid attention to the sunrise reflected in a puddle. Not only was the repetitiveness of walking calming, it made me a more observant photographer, sensitizing me to unique compositions that I would've easily overlooked had I zoomed by in a car. 

Our main mode of transportation during this trip to Central Europe was a bus, and you can imagine that driving between major cities every few days limits the opportunities to slow down, get a taste of the city's personality, and wander beyond a pocket guide of places to see. Thanks to a few extra days tacked onto our trip and the life-giving company of our dear friends (who are locals), we got to circle back to a few places, walk around, and soak in a bit more of Budapest's flavor. 

Hungarian Parliament Building
Inside St. Stephen's Basilica
Central Market Hall
Ukranian food at Ukrán Udvar Étterem
Heroes' Square
Liberty Bridge - like Prague, Budapest is full of bridges over the Danube.
Views from the Tram 2, a great way to cover more ground and taste local life.
Vaci Utca, Budapest's main shopping street.
Like Finland, Budapest is home to great artists and boutique shops - you just have to find them!
Central Market Hall at sunset

And a few from my phone's perspective:
Dad manages to find his desired Chinese food no matter where he is

No comments:

Post a Comment