November 2, 2019

With the Locals: The Bostonians


My fourth day here, I set out early to walk the Freedom Trail. Bill Bagley was sitting in Boston Common under a beautiful tree, reading. The first thing that struck me was how kind his voice was. The second thing that struck me was the soft spot we share for refugees and immigrants. ⠀
Bill is a lawyer in the field of philanthropy; he was preparing to address an organization about funding nonprofit support for programs related to refugee resettlement, migration and development, and humanitarian assistance. "You know, it's just so important to help." ⠀
I couldn't stop thinking about our life-giving conversation and looked him up when I got home. Turns out he's an adjunct professor at BC, spent time at Yale, and of his many degrees, one is from Harvard. ⠀
The third thing that struck me was how genuine and personable he was, even taking the time to ask me, "Now if I may, let me ask you one last question - where were you before?... Oh, well it's gorges!" ⠀
Before we said goodbye, he said, "Well, I hope to see your work in the New York Times one day!" 
You and me both, Bill.


 
100th year of Saint Anthony's Feast in the North End
"Listen, you got a problem, you come to me." - Uncle Tony
Mid-Autumn Lantern Festival, Chinatown Gate


The Street Theater Series
"I don't call it 'help' because I gain something too, you know what I'm sayin'?" -Carl
"Licenses for all" - Movimiento Cosechas
"Save the Iraqi people." Boston Public Library


No comments:

Post a Comment