July 21, 2019

Kalampaka and Meteora by Day

Lunch at Meteoron Panorama 
"I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it."
John 17:14-16


In, but not of. These monks seem to have a different interpretation of that verse...They live in monasteries perched on top of cliffs! 


Before visiting the monasteries, take note of their opening days and accessibility requirements. Not all are open daily, though there is one day of the week on which all are open to visitors. The famous "James Bond" monastery, Monastery of the Holy Trinity, requires a 30 minute hike down and up, while others, like Saint Stephen Nunnery, don't require more than a simple walk in. 

Might I add - we visited one monastery with only one monk and 3+ men helping to take care of the grounds yet all the nuns we saw at Saint Stephen were hard at work, without any outside help, in a heat-free, ice-covered zone...
The monk doesn't need to climb up these steps - he has his own personal lift!
 
These cats are strong beyond belief. All our energy was spent on shivering and trying not to slip on ice, yet here they are, playing!
My love for cats ended swiftly when I was attacked by the one I was sitting four summers ago. For months, I'd shake with fear any time a cat came near me, but as I kneeled down to take a photo, this fella here leaped into my lap and wove the camera strap around himself. He was trapped... and so was I! He was the sweetest and asked for nothing but attention and love. I couldn't find the heart to push him off and get up, even when it was time to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment