September 17, 2017

Stockholm's Sights: Gamla Stan (Old Town) and Sveriges Kungahus (Royal Palace)

It's so easy to say that the grass is greener on the other side. 

There's no denying that Sweden, 
with its 202+ years of peace, beautiful Old Town, interior design, gender-equality, multi-lingual and well-dressed (in the "Oh, I just threw this on", unpretentious kind of way) citizens, 
merits its position as the world's 6th best country.

But wait: just edge your finger over your trackpad/mouse a little bit more. Who's the 7th? 

Sweet land of liberty, home of the free, land of the brave. 

Whatever you call the US, it's 7th. Surprised? ...I kinda was. US News' opinions set definitive standards for everything in life, and we shouldn't take everything it says to heart, but...7th? Above Australia, France, Norway, and even Finland? 

Every time I go to a new place, I almost always return wishing I could move away and live abroad. Still now, my mind is continuously skewed towards discovering what international opportunities are available to me. What's the dietetic credential process like in England? How soon can I speak enough French to survive in France? Could I go to grad school in Ireland? 

This ungratefulness that lies beneath my wishful thinking is precisely why I'm glad that people unknowingly remind me of why the US is pretty great, despite all of its issues, because let's face it: no place is perfect. Besides, viewing other countries as an outsider and comparing them to the US as an insider isn't the fairest.

I had dinner with my house professor earlier this semester, and she shared with me that she moved to the US from her home country, Germany, due to its lack of opportunities for women in STEM at the time. She experienced this breath of fresh air when she discovered that many women (comparatively speaking) were in the STEM fields here. She felt welcomed. At the same time, my English class has been discussing areas of gender inequality within the US, so clearly, the US isn't perfect. But again, there are people who risk their lives every day just to come here. There have been millions of people who have died trying to come here. Meeting so many immigrants over the summer and following the recent DACA repeal are heavy reminders for me to be more conscious of what I take for granted as a US-born citizen. 

Of course I'll continue to be frustrated with this country and want change; we still have a lot to improve upon...but I can be cognizant of my privileges, too. The grass is actually greener wherever you water it! So yes, Sweden has a lot to offer, and so does the US. But we'll celebrate the US some other time, because it's Sweden's chance to shine.

Here's how we spent our last 5 hours (Day II) in Sweden (for Day I, see here):
"Wait, Han, I want you to stand right there!" -Will
 
We stumbled upon this beautiful view of Gamla Stan (Old Town) by accidentally getting off at one bus stop too late.
 
Kanelbulle: Swedish cinnamon buns
Morning fika (Swedish coffee break)

Will and I lagged behind, taking turns to play photographer.
Gamla Stan was so quiet this Monday morning that it felt like the historic, cobblestone streets were ours. 





 
The Swedish Royal Palace

Some of the best lighting we found this whole trip!
Hi momma. I miss you. You're the best. Thanks for bearing with all of my texts!
Changing of the Guard. Imagine carrying a tuba and a human on your back. Horses are so incredible.
Stortorget
As creepy as it is, it's so much more fun to take portraits of strangers.
The photos always invite questions about the subject's story. There's depth! This guy had a little dog with him, laying right by his right foot.
Be prepared for many more hidden camera moments, and don't worry, my mom got back at me and did the same to me throughout our trip, so keep an eye out for those, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment