August 2, 2015

S'mores with Chia Seed Graham Crackers

 S'mores. Everyone (but my brother, who doesn't like graham crackers) loves them.

The first time I ate a real s'more around a campfire was two years ago, when I went camping & white water rafting....as the only girl....out of the group of my brother and his little friends....Regardless, the camping experience was interesting and I'd go camping again, but the white water rafting was not --- let's just say I carried ;)

But back to the s'mores, There's nothing like roasting the marshmallow over fire and incorporating that smoky flavor into the s'more, but this is a nice alternative when you can't go out and make a fire in the woods.

Big thanks to Maureen (<3) who gave me one of Cara Reed's dessert cookbook where I found the graham cracker recipe ---- I also have her to thank for making me workout 10x harder ;) --- but this stuff is WORTH IT!













I've had a couple obstacles with Cara's recipes, but this is the first one that turned out really well! I followed the recipe as much as I could, so the amount of sugar that I added was in accordance with the recipe. With that being said, these were extremely sweet for my taste, and I will reduce the amount in the recipe below, but feel free to check out Cara's original recipe to see the original measurements.


Recipe: Chia Seed Graham Crackers
Original by: Cara Reed
Adapted By: Hannah Claudia
___________________________________________

1/4 cup of brown rice flour
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons of brown sugar* 

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 tablespoons of coconut oil or unhydrogenated shortening
3 tablespoons of honey or molasses
3-4 tablespoons of non-dairy milk

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients together (flours, flaxseed meal, baking powder, salt, sugar, and cinnamon) in a medium bowl. With a pastry blender or fork, incorporate solid coconut oil into flour until crumbs forms.
3. Place the rest of the ingredients into flour mix (molasses, milk, vanilla). Make into a dough ball.
4. Divide into 2 balls. Roll out 1 ball onto a piece of parchment to ¼'" thickness or desired thickness.
5. Using a pizza cutter (either a straight edge or one with ridges) make cuts to form squares. Use a ruler if needed.
6. Take a fork and gently poke holes into dough. Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until browned. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.

*I'd omit this completely, but I think the molasses in this helps --- you can try omitting this if you use molasses in place of honey

 For the record, roast your marshmallows over the stovetop instead! And if anyone knows of a marshmallow roasting class, sign me up.















  

Recipe: Vegan & Gluten-Free S'mores
By: Hannah Claudia
_____________________________________

gluten-free & vegan graham crackers (recipe above)
gelatin-free marshmallows
dairy-free chocolate bars
(opt) peanut butter :)

skewers

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Roast the marshmallows until golden brown
2a. (Optional) melt the chocolate bars*
2b. Assemble the s'mores (graham cracker - chocolate bar/melted chocolate - marshmallow - opt. pb - graham cracker)
3. Serve with a cold glass of almond milk :)

*The chocolate bars I used were way too thick, so the marshmallows couldn't melt them ---- well, that, or I just can't roast marshmallows----, so I think it'll be easier to melt the chocolate first!



xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment