January 29, 2017

A New Year, A New Sunrise

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen a photo similar to the one above.  
On December 31st, 2016, my parents and I boarded a plane to Barcelona. The clock struck twelve as we were somewhere over the Atlantic, but what's more important is the sunrise we woke up to. 

At around 7:20 am, I woke up after a long night of trying to fall asleep. I quickly checked my phone for the time, and my heart sank - I had overslept and missed the sunrise. I opened the window shade - cautiously, because I didn't want to blind my fellow travelers - and to my surprise, it was still dark out. What apocalyptic theory about the year 2017 came true?

My confusion later disappeared, right around 8:30-8:45 am, when streaks of orange and blue began to glow. The sun was rising.

I'm not sure why, but the sun rose around that time every day we were in Spain (it's interesting, considering that the sun rises around 7 am during the winter in the Northeast). That fact aside, I, along with everyone else on the plane who wasn't sleeping, was completely mesmerized by the sunrise. 

I wanted the sunrise to slow down as much as possible, especially as it was getting better and better. I didn't want my view to be confined to as far as I could see pressing my face up on the edges of the window. I wanted a panoramic view of the entire painting transforming.

Looking back at these photos, I can't help but want more. I want to turn back the clock and sit there again - no stresses, just the peace and excitement of looking forward to what a new adventure brings, the contentment of an unworried heart, a mind slowly comforted by hot (okay, tepid - it could've been hotter), black coffee.  

I want to squeeze the moment out of these photos and live through the moment again. I hope these photos leave you wanting more, too:
For the record: these photos were very minimally edited - the colors you see are really and truly the colors I saw :)

No comments:

Post a Comment