October 12, 2016

Redirection: Intentionally Doing Nothing

A few weekends ago, I had the privilege of staying at Camp-of-the-Woods in the Adirondacks with my new campus ministry. I don't think I've ever seen a campground this beautiful; I'll be bold and compare Zeitfuss Lodge to a hotel (it's also so much nicer than my dorm). You won't believe what's offered at Camp-of-the-Woods too: an indoor pool (a nice one, too!), mini golf course, rock wall, zipline, a hiking trail, tennis courts, kayaking/canoeing, indoor basketball/volleyball/soccer, the list goes on. 
Of course this was also the weekend that I had a burdensome amount of work to do ;) But what I've been trying to practice over the past few months is to being more intentional with my time. In this case, it means intentionally carving out time for absolutely nothing. On move-in day this year, a professor said, "If your schedule is packed from hour to hour, change it. Block off at least 1 hour each day for absolutely nothing".

Prioritizing work to the point that it becomes the number one priority in your life isn't good, to say the least; at the worst, it's idolatry.

Planning out what work I'll do from hour to hour has made my schedule so rigid that I have no flexibility for spontaneous dinners with friends, or for a spontaneous 20 minute conversation. What kind of a person is this uptight? Sure, time management and organization are necessary, and they're traits that I do take pride in -- sometimes. But in the words of a speaker whom I heard a few days ago, "I'll take a B for God". I can't sacrifice relationships, my sanity, and my mental health for work, busyness, and good grades. 

So I'm in the process of redirecting that attitude of "go-go-go"; I'm striving to be more moderate with my work ethic, and more forgiving with myself and my time. 

That weekend, I knew that I had to make a dent in my workload, but I also knew that I wasn't going to waste the opportunity of being in a beautiful location by staying indoors all day...and I'm pretty glad I stepped away, even if it was just for a little bit:


 

xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment