September 25, 2016

Browned Butter Cornbread Muffins (adapted from Suzanne Goin's Recipe)


A few weeks ago, in my "Loving Lately || Summer 2016" post, I mentioned an amazing browned butter cornbread recipe I've been making, and today, I'm finally sharing it!

Earlier in the summer, I borrowed several cookbooks from the local library; one book included "The A.O.C. Cookbook" by Suzanne Goin, a James Beard awarded chef. I loved flipping through her book and reading through the intricate and complex recipes she shared. I have several of the recipes on hand to try out, and my favorite so far is her cornbread recipe! You can find the original posted here, but I'm going to share my lower-in-sugar/gluten-free/dairy-free adaptation here. For the record, this recipe is absolutely perfect on its own -- I followed the recipe exactly the first time (with the exception of a dairy-substitution and the use of a cast iron skillet), and the cornbread muffins turned out beautifully! So flavorful, so soft yet textured -- just perfect. However, my adaptations make this recipe slightly healthier (lower in sugar, fat, and higher in fiber...so I can justify making it more often!).

Wait, Hannah, isn't butter made from dairy? Why yes, yes it is -- however, the amount of lactose in butter is very close to 0. I've personally found that I can tolerate butter (on its own, unmelted) in smaller quantities and in baked goods without an issue. You may want to try grass-fed or raw butter (I'm a fan of Kerry Gold) as I hear that individuals with lactose intolerance may not have issues with these kinds of dairy products. If you're allergic to dairy, however, you can use my substitution listed below! The browned butter is an important flavor component, but it's not like you're losing everything when you omit it :)





Recipe: Browned Butter Cornbread Muffins
(adapted from Suzanne Goin, by Hannah Claudia)
___________________________________________________________________________

2.5 cups almond milk + 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (dairy-free buttermilk)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, browned (substitution: 1/2 cup of olive/coconut oil)
2 eggs
3 tablespoons raw honey (if it is in the solid state, microwave it for 15 second increments, until it has loosened up and is on the runny side)

2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cups oat flour (grind about 2.5 cups of rolled oats in a blender until you achieve a "flour"; measure out 2 cups)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon of kosher salt

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Combine the almond milk and ACV. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes to allow the almond milk to curdle.
2. If using butter, brown the butter and allow it to cool.
3. Combine the eggs, honey, "buttermilk", and butter/oil.

4. Whisk the dry ingredients together, until fully combined.
5. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients (no need to worry about over-mixing!)
6. Transfer the batter to a greased muffin tin, filling each tin to the top* (this recipe makes approx. 17 muffins when each tin is filled to the top)
7. Bake at 400*F for 20-23 minutes, or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.



*I fill my muffin tins to the top because I like it when my muffins have a muffin top :)!


Thank you to Suzanne Goin for this incredible corn muffin recipe -- I've been searching far and wide for a good recipe, and this is it (waayyy better than this previous blueberry cornbread recipe)!! If you want, you can even play with savory mix-ins (jalepenos, corn kernels, sausage, peppers) or sweet ones (chocolate chips, blueberries, raspberries).


xoxo, han

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I have a tub of cornmeal that needs using up and this'll be the perfect way to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Emmie! I'm so glad to hear that you'll try this out :) Definitely let me know how it goes!

      Delete