May 25, 2016

Blueberry Cornbread


Continuing with my trend of Southern foods, today's recipe is a sweetened Blueberry Cornbread recipe! If you're a Southerner and you're reading this, you're probably very indignant right now -- the words "sweet" and "cornbread" are not compatible in Southern cuisine ;). This is a Northern twist, but it's what I'm used to and what I like. 

This recipe is adapted from Rachel's recipe (of Bakerita); one little baking issue I struggled with was with the center still being very loose and jiggly despite meeting the recommended baking time and having a toothpick come out clean when inserted (explained in a previous post). I kept the cornbread in the oven for an extra 10-20 minutes, until the center was set, and the cornbread was still very moist! I did a bit of research, and the amount of moisture could be the reason for this issue; I did make a few substitutions to lighten this recipe up, which may have also altered the liquid to dry ratio...oh, and I also added the entire can of corn, liquid and kernels (not just the kernels as called for...whoops). Lesson learned -- even though I read the recipe several times, you can never study it enough ;) 

Regardless of that little bump, the cornbread still tasted great! I halved the amount of sugar too, so this cornbread didn't taste exactly like the sweet cornbread muffins I ate as a kid, but it satisfied my cravings sufficiently.










Recipe: Blueberry Cornbread
Adapted from: Bakerita.com
Adapted by: Hannah Claudia
_____________________________________________

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of yellow cornmeal
1.4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

3/4 cup of applesauce
1/2 cup of white sugar (I only added 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup almond milk + 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (alternatively, use full fat coconut milk/cow's milk, or buttermilk)
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 large eggs

1 (11 oz) can whole corn kernels, drained
1 cup of blueberries (I used frozen)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Preheat the oven to 375*F. Mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar together; let it sit (curdle) for 10 minutes.
2. Whisk all of the dry ingredients together. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, mix the applesauce, sugar, milk, olive oil, and eggs together.
4. Mix in the dry ingredients.
5. Fold in the corn and blueberries.
6. Bake in a 9" baking dish (I used a round 9" cake pan) for 17-20 minutes, or until the center is set and a toothpick inserted comes out clean (for me, this took about 40 minutes!).




xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment