February 21, 2016

Forest Fairytale


Recently, I've been seeking out career advice through conversations with different professors around me. These little "interviews"/"meetings" are informal, but intimidating nonetheless, because this girl doesn't do well in new situations with new people. Putting myself out there and forcing myself to practice talking to others, especially those who are highly esteemed, has forced me to refine my professional social skills just a little bit. Of course I go in with a list of questions written down (maybe even memorized), but I'd have to say that thinking on the spot is certainly a useful skill that I'm beginning to develop. (emphasis on beginning

Per my mom's request, I'm going to share a meaningful, little snippet of my recent conversation with a professor from Rollins School of Public Health:

1. I mentioned that I don't imagine myself becoming a researcher/entering the field of research as a career  path because I'm not creative enough to come up with original research questions. He pointed out that as time goes by and as you become more skilled in and knowledgeable about a field, you'll begin to wonder and develop questions about the unknown. Researcher questions don't come to you overnight; it takes time and a lot of reading, but it's actually not as difficult as it seems. 

2. I'm currently still figuring out what I want to do -- I have vague ideas, but nothing concrete, and I asked him if there's anything that I could do or any resource I could seek out to help me identify a career. He answered: just keep exploring and asking questions/seeking advice from experienced individuals/professionals. When you begin, you may feel like you're looking at a blurry picture, but as time goes on, you'll begin to refine your interests and gain more experience. After a little while, you'll begin to draw curves and lines in the picture, making it seem just a little bit clearer. In other words, experiences shape the future, so it's okay to not have a vision of the future set in mind. What's important is to have a general perception of what the picture is like and to allow time to help you paint that picture.







Dress: Forever 21, Plaid shirt: Forever 21, Socks: Urban Outfitters, Boots: BCBG (Urban Outfitters), Bag: mom's closet (LV),
Necklace: Forever 21, Bangle: Baublebar (thanks Kat!)



xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment