January 10, 2016

Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Frosting

One of the reasons why I love to bake/cook is because I love seeing the reaction of people eating the food I make - and this pumpkin roll was a winner. Unlike the typical jelly roll/sponge cake method, this recipe (which is the most popular one that I came across online) doesn't require the eggs to be separated/the egg whites to be whipped to stiff peaks. While I've made this recipe three times following the recipe exactly, I think that I will try separating the eggs and folding in whipped egg whites at the end for a fluffier/more airy cake base. With that being said though, you'll still get a really great cake base by beating the whole eggs with the sugar; the batter will be a bit runnier but no worries, it's not too runny that it won't stay on the pan (I used a cookie sheet, not a rimmed baking sheet, and I didn't have too many issues)!

I think that a slice of the pumpkin roll makes for a better gift than a bag of cookies; it's not as conventional as cookies and this recipe is (in my opinion) simpler than cookies. The science behind baking cookies is actually more complex than most people realize, and I'm always too critical with the results (the texture isn't right, etc.).

On another note, expect weekly blogposts every Sunday - I may also throw in a few extras throughout the week, but the consistency will lie in the weekly Sunday posts :)!

(now back to watching Cyberchase & eating leftover Tortuga's at the airport!)







for the record: I'm very sad that I'll be missing the first snow at home next week 


  
 


get the recipe here!

xoxo, han



1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy! Definitely trying! :)

    Cassandra from Love in Color

    ReplyDelete