January 26, 2016

(Lighter) Vegan Spaghetti Tacos

I sincerely believe that you cannot be a true iCarly fan if you've never tried to make spaghetti tacos.

When I was younger (middle school and early high school), I took quite a bit of pride in my ability to make awesome spaghetti (and even awesome-r spaghetti tacos); I even took the liberty to call it "Hannah's Famous Spaghetti", although it was only famous to me and my brother.


While spaghetti tacos aren't necessarily the healthiest, you can certainly customize them to be as unhealthy or as healthy as you'd like them to be. Best of all, there's no clear cut recipe for spaghetti tacos, so anyone with a dietary restriction (vegan to gluten-free) can eat them too. When I used to make spaghetti tacos, I would boil conventional spaghetti and toss it in tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese before stuffing a warm tortilla (or even a hard taco shell) with the spaghetti and a few turkey meatballs:
This recipe has been refined to be a bit lighter ;)

Another more noticeable difference would be the homemade tortillas:


It's been a while since I've made tortillas, and the process of rolling the dough out between floured sheets of cling-wrap reminded me of a @foodwishes video that involved a tortilla press. While making the dough for homemade tortillas is simple, nobody wants a dense pita bread in place of a soft, pliable tortilla, so keep in mind that this recipe may be more time-consuming than expected. 

As for the filling itself, the process is fairly straightforward. Spaghetti - tomato sauce - any additional fillings.
I added my vegan cashew cheese sauce, sundried tomatoes, and spinach.   



(Lighter) Vegan Spaghetti Tacos
By: Hannah Claudia
____________________________________________

homemade tortillas (I used coconut oil instead of lard; if you're gluten-free, use a gluten-free tortilla instead!)

1 cup of cooked, oat-flour spaghetti (lighter and healthier than conventional spaghetti)
1/2 cup of tomato sauce (I didn't have any, so I used tomato paste instead!)
2 tsp oregano 
2 tablespoons of sundried tomatoes

1/4 cup of vegan cashew cheese sauce
handful of spinach (and/or fresh basil if you have any)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Drain the boiled spaghetti. Mix in the tomato sauce, oregano, and sundried tomatoes. 
2. Assemble the spaghetti tacos: add the spinach, spaghetti mixture, and then the cashew cheese sauce. 





xoxo, han



1 comment:

  1. New Diet Taps into Revolutionary Idea to Help Dieters Lose 23 Pounds within Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete