December 27, 2015

Sundried Tomato Chicken Salad



 I didn't plan on blogging this recipe since it doesn't seem like much of a "recipe", but I had to take advantage of the amazing lighting!

I've mentioned this several times now, but salads don't have to taste bad to be healthy! My favorite salad ingredients are nuts, craisins, sundried tomatoes, and avocados - they add texture, sweetness, and saltiness. Unfortunately, my college dining hall doesn't have any of these items (sometimes craisins will appear), so I have to take full advantage of the opportunities to make awesome salads at home.

My experience with cooking chicken (or any meat) is still incredibly limited; my kitchen experience grew mostly when I began to eat mainly plant-based (occasionally pescetarian) meals, so I'm still developing my instincts when it comes to cooking meat (that means a lot of poking and cutting the meat to check for doneness, which unfortunately results in juices leaking out :P). However, I will have to say that this salad can not only be made vegetarian/vegan/pescetarian to suit other dietary preferences but can also be simplified without the addition of chicken ;) I did deglaze the pan to add extra flavor to the salad, but any good dressing/marinade would serve just as well!




 the photo above features the beautiful anthropologie monogram mug that my best friend gifted me <3 (thank you Yasmeen!)

 doesn't this photo remind you of the trailer for Bradley Cooper's new movie, Burnt?!





















Recipe: Sundried Tomato Chicken Salad
By: Hannah Claudia
____________________________________

1 cup of baby spinach, chopped
1 tablespoon of sundried tomatoes (the kind that's packed in oil but reserve the oil for later!)
1 tablespoon of craisins/dried cranberries
handful of sliced almonds (opt: toasted)
handful of heirloom cherry tomatoes, quartered

1 chicken breast
1 teaspoon sundried tomato oil
pinch of oregano
salt & pepper, to taste

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Heat the teaspoon of sundried tomato oil in a small pan over medium high heat.
2. Season both sides of the chicken breast with the oregano, salt, and pepper.
3. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the chicken breast and cook until fully cooked/browned on both sides (4-5 minutes per side).
4. Set the chicken aside and let it rest.
5. Add a tablespoon or two of water to the pan to deglaze it.
6. Toss the spinach, sundried tomatoes, craisins, almonds, and cherry tomatoes together.
7. Add the chicken on top of the salad and pour the deglazed pan drippings over the chicken and the salad.


xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment