October 3, 2015

Tunnel Vision || Fall Fest Photos

Look at these precious kids --- 
selling lemonade for $0.25, and donating part of their revenue to the library (keeping some to invest in a deck of cards). 

So before I get into the photos from today's Fall Fest, I wanted to mention something that's been on my mind all day: at a prayer breakfast this morning, several people discussed the prevalence of intense suffering on campus. I was surprised, to say the least, to hear about that --I know that getting used to college isn't easy and that everyone experiences loneliness on different levels, but to hear that so many people are going through such intense personal struggles and to realize that I had never really noticed that over the past five weeks I've been here makes me incredibly uncomfortable. I feel naive, ignorant, and self-centered that I've been focusing so narrowly on my own adjustment and not considering the adjustments of others enough --- while my roommate has inspired me to notice the loneliness of certain people on our floor and to reach out to them, I haven't been attentive enough to notice the loneliness outside of my floor. Small talk can easily cover up hidden pain, and I should know after four years of struggles in high school --- the difference though, is that I did, for the most part, have people to talk to about the pains (especially my senior year -- I don't know what would have happened to me if I didn't have my support system to lean on). The loneliness here does not pair well with personal struggles, and I've been blinded by my tunnel vision that's focused mainly on myself, my personal friends and family at home, and the people closest to me here that I've been unable to notice the pain that, evidently, a lot of people are suffering from right now. I see a lot of different faces everyday, and we all like to make small talk to be respectful, friendly, and/or polite, but why do we/I stop with "How are you? --- I'm fine, thank you! How are you? --- I'm good, thanks! Enjoy your day! --- Thank you, you too!" ? Why can't we/I take five minutes out of our/my day to ask someone about something that's a little more meaningful, to show that we/I really care? 

So from here on, I'm going to try to be more attentive, more patient, and more understanding. My family and friends know that I'm struggling a lot with a few bad partners in my least favorite subject right now, and I'm challenging myself to extend myself to them as well. One of my close friends right now, is going through a really difficult time with her roommate, but she's sacrificed a lot for this roommate even though this roommate has not been treating her well --- AT ALL. With her as a force of encouragement and motivation, I'm going to aim to do the same with my class partners...let's see how that will all work out.

In the mean time though, if you're going through a rough time, just look at the photo of those kids above. Try to imagine they're cute little voices shouting "lemonade! get your lemonade!", because I think that will really cheer you up :)


apple cider popsicle


vegetarian tacos (onions, salsa, guacamole) on corn tortillas



xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment