October 12, 2015

Autumn Recipes


Fall --- everyone's favorite season, full of pumpkins, apple picking, changing colors, hot spiced drinks, cider donuts, sweaters, and football games (in my case, futbol, as I don't watch football).

It's been too long since I've posted any recipe, and I am getting sick of iPhone photos. Hopefully I'll have some great photo opportunities next weekend, but right now, I need to revive this blog just a bit with some old content. I don't know how many recipes have been posted, but there's a lot, and for anyone who's new to the blog, scrolling through that recipe page is a bit daunting, so I've compiled a list of some recipes perfect for this season:

Starting off with breakfast:
Gluten-free, vegan, and oh-so-decadent without being too unhealthy! Who can say no to these?
Granted, bananas don't really pertain to any specific season as they're available in abundance year round, but there's just something so comforting and warming when it comes to caramelized bananas, so I figured they're still somewhat related to fall. 
Get the recipe here!

Man, I miss homemade oatmeal, especially because there's the liberty to add anything to your oatmeal at home. Here at school, there are very few topping options (green bananas --blech--, cinnamon, brown sugar, raisins), so I cannot wait to go home and add some pumpkin puree, pumpkin seeds, and black sesame seeds to my oatmeal ---- please make this, for my sake --- I can live/"eat" vicariously through you ;)

Get the recipe here!


I wouldn't say that this is my favorite scone recipe, but I do think that it's a good recipe for anyone who's looking for a baked good that truly tastes like pumpkin! And a drizzle of chocolate sauce (equal parts melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and cocoa powder) never hurt anyone. Recipe here!


Even though I'm living in the south right now, I am not a fan of grits. Maybe it's because I haven't eaten then the way Paula Deen would (but then again, a shoe would taste good with that much butter and cheese), but I also find the texture to be very confusing. It's not oatmeal and it's not congee.....I will have to say, though, while the texture is still super "gritty", grits work really well as the base of the dry ingredients in this muffin recipe. It reminded me of cornbread with more texture! This recipe is simple to make and can be customized through toppings or mixed-in spices/herbs to accompany any savory meal or serve as a sweet treat. Get the recipe here

Now, let's move onto drinks:

Nothing says "fall" more than pumpkins --- trade in the sugar and cream latent "pumpkin" spice lattes for this healthier smoothie!
Recipe here.

During the fall of my junior year of high school, I started the tradition of making hot chocolate nearly everyday afterschool. Junior year was not easy, and the beginning was difficult to adjust to. I'd come home completely burned out and frustrated, so naturally, I gravitated towards the kitchen --- my happy place. Hot chocolate is a simple and quick recipe that still allowed me to burn off all that negative energy.
Get this healthy, vegan recipe here!

Onto savory dishes:

Aside from warm salads, I think that the colors of a salad can appropriately reflect the season. This Christmas colored salad will get you excited to curl up with a blanket and dream about the holiday season that's coming up. Recipe here!

I don't think this needs a lot of explaining --- pumpkin, carrot, soup, curry --- these ingredients scream fall.
Recipe here!

And a savory snack:
This might be a bit of a stretch compared to the last recipe, because I could eat this year round, but pumpkin butter is a trendy fall food, so I decided to add it to the list! Get the recipe here and the (healthified) recipe for pumpkin butter here!


Okay, enough is enough. Let's get to everyone's favorite --- DESSERT:
If I had to choose between brownies and cookies, I honestly think I'd pick cookies (brownie lovers, don't hate me, I still love brownies!). This gluten-free recipe includes cacao nibs and almond butter, both of which have earthy and deep flavors, perfect for fall. Get the recipe here!

The scent of orange and flecks of orange zest brighten this rich, decadent cake. You also don't have to feel bad about eating this --- it's made of quinoa as opposed to nutrient deficient, bleached flour! Get the recipe here.

Apple pie....that you don't have to bake! Granted, the flake-y crust is always a highlight, but this crust is raw, so it's free of the shortening and butter that's typically found in any pie crust! Get the recipe here.

Rounding everything out with my all-time favorite --- Raw Pumpkin Pie with Coconut Whipped Cream!
Gluten-free, vegan, raw, naturally sweetened. Need I say more? If you only try one recipe, this has to be it (actually, also try the pancake one because that's another personal favorite ;] )! Get the recipe here


xoxo, han





No comments:

Post a Comment