August 7, 2015

Restaurant Review: Beyond Sushi (Chelsea Market, NYC)



Prices: $-$$
Location: Chelsea Market, NYC (they also have various locations in NYC)
Portions: most sushi rolls are 8 pieces and there are two sizes for the summer rolls
Ambiance: very small area, and there's really no place to sit, but other locations are much larger. It's bright and has very clean decor. 
Service: Extremely quick service (got my order within 2 minutes of ordering); the employees weren't particularly friendly but they weren't rude either.
Verdict: I really liked the food and it's definitely a great option for anyone, regardless of your dietary preferences. Beyond sushi has "sushi rolls of the month", so there's always something new to try. I'm a little biased, because I've been a fan of the owner/founder (Guy Vaknin) since watching him on Hell's Kitchen, however, I did have pretty high expectations going in, and I was definitely pleased. I'd definitely come again :) 

(read more for detailed reviews of the food & for more photos!)


Sauces: The package their sauces in these squeezable tubes, which I think is very inventive and unique. 




The Mighty Mushroom Roll: 

luckily I don't have celiac's, because this roll is not gluten free (the 6 grain rice has barley). I think that the menu should better identify gluten-free items, however, their website does that, so just make sure you do your research ahead of time. I really liked how they used 5-spiced tofu ("dao fu gone") --- you don't see that very often outside of chinese restaurants, and it's a really clever addition as it's firm and can hold its shape. The roll is flavorful on its own, but it does come with a shiitake teriyaki sauce. The sauce was alright, but I didn't particularly like it. 



(used the wrong sauce!)



The Nutty Buddy Wrap

After seeing this on instagram, I knew that I had to get it when I came. The noodles have a jalepeno peanut sauce on them (*being someone who's extremely sensitive to spicy foods --- meaning that I'm a total wimp ---, I have to say that I couldn't even taste the "jalepeno", so this isn't spicy AT ALL!), but they also added cashews to the actual roll too, which I thought was a nice touch. They also added the 5 spice tofu to this wrap, and the sweet soy mirin (which I believe isn't gluten-free either) tasted really good. 



xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment