August 8, 2015

Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies (lower in sugar!)

 I've been pushing myself much harder during my workouts...the reason why? ---- I've been baking more!

Self-control simply goes out the window when I bake, so I have to be extremely careful around the new cookbook that my friend Maureen got me ;) This recipe was inspired by Cara Reed's recipe for chocolate chip cookies (only available through her book), however, I have made a few adjustments, like decreasing the amount of sugar, using a dark chocolate bar, and using chia seeds as opposed to flax seeds.

You'll have to resist the temptation of eating these cookies as they're coming out of the oven --- they definitely will continue to firm up as they're cooling on the baking sheet, and they actually taste better when they're cooled than when they're warm (you won't get the "bean flour" taste that isn't so pleasant). Either way though, these cookies must be served with a cold glass of almond milk (or whatever milk you drink).

*I will have to say though, the original recipe says that this makes 3 dozen cookies with tablespoon sized dough balls, but I only got a little over one dozen cookies :(






I did a test: I didn't flatten some and I flattened others. Both ended up tasting the same after they cooled & crisped up, however, I think the flattened ones look nicer, but it's all up to you!!


Recipe: Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Original Recipe by: Cara Reed
Adapted by: Hannah Claudia
_______________________________________________

1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt

1 cup of coconut oil or non-hydrogenated vegan butter/shortening
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of honey/maple syrup/agave*
1 tablespoon of chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons of water ("Chia seed egg")
splash of vanilla extract

dark chocolate bar (I used 80% cocoa), chopped

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl
2. Cream the oil/butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl until fluffy.
3. Add the honey/maple/agave, chia egg, and vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate. 
5. Fold in the chopped chocolate (and reserve some to press on top if you want).
6. Scoop out the cookie dough using a tablespoon and mold into a ball.
7. Flatten the dough onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper and repeat with the rest of the dough (they won't spread out, so you don't have to be too worried about spreading them too far apart)
8. Bake at 375*F for about 10-12 minutes (they won't really turn golden brown and they'll still be slightly soft)
9. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet and remove when they've crisped up/can hold their shape.

*I'm adding this little touch of liquid sweetener to help mask the taste of the gluten-free flour blend as I significantly reduced the total amount of sugar






xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment