July 11, 2015

Black Sesame Green Tea Dibs (Vegan)


The first time I had Dibs ice cream bites was when I was 11, and in Beijing for a summer camp. It was incredibly humid and hot in China, and ice cream was my best friend --- that being said, I did try a lot of different ice creams, but I found myself going back to Dibs and Magnum (yup, before it came to the U.S.!).  Since my lactose intolerance got worse as I got older and since I've become much more aware of the malpractices in the dairy industry, I've had to find dairy-free alternatives for ice cream. This homemade recipe is perfect because it doesn't require an ice cream machine nor does it require you to mix it every thirty minutes for five hours. I posted a recipe for vegan klondike bars yesterday, and so here's a spin-off of that recipe:






Recipe: Black Sesame Green Tea Dibs
By: Hannah Claudia
_______________________________________________

for the ice cream:
1 cup of cashews
1 cup of green tea (i used matcha powder to make green tea)
1 tablespoon of matcha powder
1 small spoonful of honey, maple syrup, or agave (about 2 tablespoons)
2-3 tablespoons of black sesame seeds (raw or toasted)

for the chocolate shell:
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
1/3 cup of coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon of honey, maple syrup, or agave

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Soak the cashews in water for about 2 hours (enough water to cover the cashews)
2. Drain the cashews and place all of the ice cream ingredients into a blender. 
3. Place the cashew mixture into a silicone mold or a bowl/loaf pan lined with plastic wrap.
4. Place more plastic wrap directly over the top of the ice cream mixture to prevent any excess ice from forming.
5. Freeze for about 2 hours or until fully frozen
6. Mix the chocolate shell ingredients in a bowl.
7. Cut the ice cream mixture into mini bite-size bars/squares
8. Spoon the chocolate shell all over each bar/square (or dip half/the whole thing in)
9. Wait until the chocolate is fully frozen (takes 30 seconds or so) before serving.




xoxo, han



No comments:

Post a Comment