Happy Birthday Dad!
Here's a healthy treat that's not only a great alternative to the traditional birthday cake but will help cool you down during the hot summer!
it all starts off with a banana ice cream base! I used a blender instead of a food processor, and I actually like the texture a lot more. There's that "air-whipped" consistency from using the blender.
doesn't it look like a cheesecake?!?!
The crust is a pecan crust --- I used earth balance since the only coconut oil we have is refined (not good compared to unrefined) and I didn't want to use dates. While dates are natural sources of sugar, sugar is sugar, no matter what form it's in. If you're looking to make a completely raw dessert, then use dates in place of the earth balance! Add enough dates to achieve a crumbly, sticky mixture.
Recipe: Strawberry Banana Cream Pie
By: Hannah Claudia
8" pie tin
for the crust:
4 cups of raw pecans
10 teaspoons of earth balance or unrefined coconut oil (about 3 big tablespoons, but divide it into smaller portions for even distribution)
for the filling:
3 very ripe bananas, broken into pieces and frozen
1/2 cup of strawberries, rinsed and blended
(opt) strawberries to garnish (i used raspberries instead)
1. Add the pecans to a food processor and pulse until you get fine crumbs.
2. Add 5 tsp of earth balance/coconut oil to the pecans and pulse a few times.
3. Add the rest of the earth balance/coconut oil teaspoon by teaspoon until the entire mixture comes together.
4. Press the pie crust evenly into the pie tin.
5. Bake the pie crust at 350*F for about 10-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden brown.
6. Let the pie crust cool completely before proceeding to the next step.
7. Blend banana slices in the amount of one frozen banana at a time in the blender (unless your blender is super powerful, then you can blend all of the slices) until you get a soft-serve consistency.
8. Spoon into the pie crust and spread evenly.
9. Add spoonfuls of the strawberry puree. Use a toothpick or chopstick to swirl the strawberry into the banana cream.
10. Decorate (if desired) and freeze for at least 6 hours (overnight is best).
11. Let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes before serving.