June 22, 2015

Silk Dairy-Free (Soy) Yogurt Review


A few months back, I did a review on Almond and Coconut yogurts; generally speaking, I didn't like the texture or taste of any of them. 
My mom found a coupon for Silk dairy-free yogurt (made from soymilk), and I decided to give dairy-free yogurt another try. 
I'm glad I did!



Texture: Just like normal yogurt. Just like it! Smooth and creamy.

Taste: This has more sugar than coconut greek yogurt/greek yogurts, but around the same as Almond yogurt and less than Coconut yogurt; it tastes sweet and strawberry-like (what you'd expect from regular strawberry yogurt). The big plus --- doesn't taste like vegan cheese! (read my last review to understand) It tastes just like regular yogurt and reminds me of the Yoplait or Activia.

Nutrition: Compared to the other dairy-free yogurts I've tried, they're all about the same in terms of calories (around 130), but soymilk yogurt is lower in fat than coconut yogurts but slightly higher in fat than almond yogurts. Out of all of the yogurts, soymilk yogurt has the most protein (6 g compared to the others' 1g or 2 g). The downside is that there isn't as much calcium in the soymilk yogurt. If you're looking for something with less sugar, go for the coconut greek yogurt. Second in line with about 12-14 g of sugar are the soymilk and almond milk yogurts, and last, with the most sugar, is the regular coconut yogurt.

Verdict: THIS is what I'll go for anytime I'm in the mood for dairy-free yogurt. Unfortunately, there really weren't very many flavor choices (didn't have plain either, and I would suspect that plain has the least amount of sugar), but I really like this yogurt since it tastes nearly identical to regular yogurts. When we were in the store, the majority of the Silk yogurts were gone, meaning that they're pretty popular --- for a good reason too! I only wish that there wasn't that much sugar and a little more calcium, but the good thing is that the yogurt is sweetened with cane sugar, not high fructose corn syrup, which is a huge difference from generic yogurts!


xoxo, han



1 comment:

  1. I just bought some of these and was looking up reviews...
    This was a really great review of this product, thank you for comparing it to other non dairy yogurts, it helped me a lot!

    ReplyDelete