June 13, 2015

Lowering Expectations


Today's post is going to be slightly more philosophical. Why the cereal? Cereal inspires me, as do showers, and hopefully this post is slightly inspiring...hopefully.

I'm someone who always has expectations for any situation because I fear not being prepared. Over the past few years, I've consciously tried to work on lowering my expectations so that I don't get disappointed/caught up when things don't work out the way I want them to.

When I visited my college for the first time, I honestly had no idea what to expect. I didn't know what events were planned, who would be there, and what the purpose of the day was. I pretty much went in without any expectations, and I came out the happiest I've ever been this year. It's not easy to "go with the flow" at first, especially for Type-A people, but in the end, it's really alleviates a lot of stress. Think about it:

Situation A) Live life with expectations: your expectations will/will not be met. It's hard to exceed expectations because we tend to hope for the best. There's absolutely nothing wrong with hope, but most of our expectations are romanticized, making them less realistic and less likely to occur. The chances of life meeting our expectations is one in .... a trillion times a billion. Not very high.

Situation B) Live life without expectations: you don't know what's going to happen, so it's easier to be happily surprised. Without expectations, there's less to be disappointed by. Life happens, and you just take it as it happens. Honestly, I find myself not lingering on the bad aspects because I'm just living in the presence, taking what life throws at me as it is: reality --- not a disappointed dream.



xoxo, han






No comments:

Post a Comment