May 14, 2015

Rustic Watercolor Berry Banana Cake




My Grandpa is one of the most influential people in my life: he taught me basic math at the age of 2, he taught me to recite 30+ Chinese poems, he made me peanut butter banana sandwiches, he bought a slice of pizza for us in the afternoons (my favorite food then), he helped me clean my bad knee scrapes after I fell off of my tricycle (this was a daily occurrence), he taught me how to cook an omelette (the very first thing I learned to cook), he taught me how to ride a bike, he made us lunch and dinner every single day (until I learned to cook myself), he walked us to school when we missed the bus/picked us up from school when we missed the bus, he told us our favorite stories when we couldn't fall asleep, he was there at home everyday when we got back from home, he gave me hugs whenever I got frustrated from school....the list goes on.

For his birthday, I made him a rustic banana cake: the recipe for the first layer was adapted from another site, but I'm not a fan of how it turned out. Guess what the second layer is?.................my go-to......banana.......bread......recipe ;)

Honestly, I'm scared of trying any new recipes now! Nothing that's gluten-free & naturally sweetened has ever turned out this good! Okay, sorry, I'm tooting my own horn, but if you try this, you'll understand.


this new recipe that I tried out resulted in a very greasy and overly sweet cake :P While I used only dates and bananas to sweeten it (and the amount of oil was limited), it just didn't turn out that good! I think it's because I substituted the almond flour for oat flour and I didn't take into account the "chemistry" of baking substitutions. I might try it again in the future, but I'm pretty happy with my recipe ;)






The cake on the left is my recipe and the one on the right is the new recipe (much flatter). Sadly, I couldn't wait and I removed the left cake too early from the dish (like 30 seconds after it came out from the oven...oops), which is why it looks all cracked. 




  





Recipe: Rustic Watercolor Berry Banana Cake
By: Hannah Claudia
_____________________________________________________

(for each layer; double or triple for more layers):
greased, circular baking dish

for the coconut whipped cream:
1 can of full-fat coconut milk, placed in the fridge overnight
(opt) 2 tablespoons of date syrup (the water leftover from soaking dates)

for the watercolor topping:
frozen blueberries, defrosted in the fridge
frozen strawberries, defrosted in the fridge

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;

1. Bake the cake(s) and let them cool completely. (Don't remove them from the pan too quickly; wait at least 30 minutes)
2. Carefully remove the can of coconut milk from the fridge. Open the can and scoop out the coconut cream that has floated
to the top into a large bowl.
3. Whip up the coconut cream until you get stiff peaks.
4. Frost the cake(s) with the coconut whipped cream.
5. Use a sieve to drain the berries (but keep the juices). Top the cake with the berries.
6. With a spoon, drizzle the berry juices over the cake to create the "watercolor" effect.


   




xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment