May 13, 2015

Kale Onion Soup



Making soup is my go-to when I need to use up vegetables that are just about to go bad. (I feel safer eating them since they're cooked as opposed to drinking them in juices!). When I was younger, I ate/drank (which one is it?) canned soup allll the time, and I shudder every time I think about canned soups --- soups are actually easier to make than you think, and you know exactly what's going into your soup! No preservatives, no additives, no questionable ingredients that have more "x's" and "z's" than any other word ;)

If you didn't know, I'm also a freelance writer for LoveLiveHealth! You can check out my articles (including one about why you should avoid MSG) here: http://www.lovelivehealth.com/author/hannah-claudia/








Recipe: Kale Onion Soup
By: Hannah Claudia

__________________________________________________________

1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons of oil

2 cups of kale, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup of chickpeas, soaked and cooked (you can use canned as well)
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp anise seed
2 cloves of garlic, crushed

water

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
2. Caramelize the onion until golden brown; this should take about 10-15 minutes.
3. Mix in the anise seed, oregano, and garlic.
4. Add the kale* and carrots. Pour in enough water to cover 3/4 of the vegetables.
5. Cook for about 20-30 minutes, or until the mixture has reduced and the vegetables have reduced in volume.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the chickpeas.

*I like the kale to be super wilted and tender, but if you prefer to add the kale when there's only about 5 minutes of cooking time left, do that! You can also mix in the kale with the chickpeas.



xoxo, han




No comments:

Post a Comment