May 21, 2015

Honey Mustard Purple Sweet Potato Salad


For the record, I don't really like mustard. At all. But when it's sweetened with honey and a little bit of apricot preserves, it becomes a whole lot more appetizing. I remember when I first tried mustard with my family; I was about six years old and we were probably at a McDonald's (yup, my eating habits were drastically different). We wanted to try mustard since none of us had ever tried it, and ohhh man it didn't taste good. What I'd pay to see my reaction again ;)

But back to this salad: I was flipping through a cookbook (yes, I like to read cookbooks. please stop judging because i know you are ;) ) and Giada DeLaurentis had a variation of potato salad using mustard. I decided to make my own version that I find more palatable using honey mustard, and here are the results:

Unlike traditional potato salads, I decided to use a purple sweet potato. I was nearing the "hangry" phase, so I microwaved the potato, but I highly recommend either boiling them or roasting them. The insides will be much fluffier!
I mixed in some chopped celery for texture and some fresh apricots since I mixed apricot preserves into the dressing.

Recipe: Honey Mustard Purple Sweet Potato Salad
By: Hannah Claudia
____________________________________________________

1 sweet potato, cut into chunks and cooked (boiled or roasted)
1 apricot, cut into chunks
handful of baby spinach

dressing:
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of honey mustard*
1 teaspoon of apricot preserves
1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mix the dressing in a large bowl.
2. Toss the cooked sweet potatoes in the dressing
3. Serve warm over spinach or refrigerate and serve cold.

*Make sure you read the ingredient label of the honey mustard: most are actually not made with honey but with
high fructose corn syrup as well! You can also buy your own stone ground/regular mustard and mix honey/extra apricot preserves
in it.

xoxo, han

1 comment:

  1. These purple sweet potatoes do not do well in the MW. My salad was made with homemade pickled celery (in brown rice vinegar), green onion, Thai chile, a bit of garlic, and fresh parsley. I dressed the salad with some of the juice from the celery pickle and EVOO. Yum!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete