April 13, 2015

R. Thomas Deluxe Grill (Buckhead, Georgia)




Prices: $$
Location: Buckhead, Georgia
Portions: The portions are pretty large, but it really depends on what you order. In all honesty though, the dishes are very filling and you'll probably find yourself skipping out on dessert!
Ambiance: This spot is easy to pass by, and I like to think of it as the locals' secret. The exterior is covered with lawn ornaments and the inside is decorated with bright, colorful lights and more garden themed/wicker furniture. Something that surprised me were the bird cages (with live birds) on the outside! 
Service: The service was quick and attentive, but not very warm and friendly (a tad distant). Our server was not the most patient or helpful; given that the menu consists of more "trendy" foods (quinoa), I'd expect that the server be a little more considerate. In other words, I didn't have an impressionable experience based on service. (Something else worth noting, however, is that this is a 24/7 restaurant, so you can come here for food at any time of the day!)
Food: The menu is extremely diverse: Italian, Mexican, and Asian influences. At the same time, the "trendy" foods, as I mentioned, might not appeal to people who aren't familiar with items such as quinoa, raw cultured/fermented vegetables, tamari. All the while, the menu is flexible (gluten-free options, ability to switch out sides) and appeals to different dietary choices (gluten-free, vegan, raw, pescetarian, omnivore...).
Verdict: I'd love to come back for the food although I think my dad would beg to differ ;) The ambiance is unexpected and eclectic, the menu is healthy and varied (there's something for everyone!). Next time, I'd like to try their Thai Express Quinoa Bowl or one of their Raw dinners (including the raw cashew cheese!). 


Gluten-free Spicy Fish Tacos - the fish is not the typical battered cod, it's actually salmon! I liked how the vegetables were atypical of most fish tacos, the slaw consisted of red cabbage, onions, carrots, and broccoli. The sunflower sprouts on top were a little disappointing; I really wished that there were more sprouts to help cut the heat. And as the name of the dish says, it is spicy! I asked the server about the level of heat given that I can't take any heat at all, and she vowed that it wouldn't be spicy at all....it was pretty spicy to me! She told me that most customers reported that it's not spicy at all, but to me, it really was, and the gluten-free tortilla wasn't enough to cut the heat. The heat comes from the sauce, so ask for the tortillas sans sauce and just stick to the salsa, which wasn't spicy. At the same time, I ate all of it (granted I was just looking for something to cut the heat but it was actually realllllyyy good!). 

Curry Coconut Seafood Linguine - my brother thoroughly enjoyed this, and it smelled really good too ;)

Ginger Crusted Wild Ahi Tuna - my mom enjoyed the fact that in addition to the ahi tuna, there were chunks of salmon mixed in with the sweet potatoes. The bright green sauce on the side is wasabi! I tried the seaweed salad and it tasted a lot like the seaweed salads typical of Japanese restaurants, however, it did not have the overly sweet aftertaste nor the artificial neon green color. 

R's Grilled Soy Ginger Salmon - according to my dad, the green beans were undercooked and the portion size of the salmon was too small

xoxo, han



No comments:

Post a Comment