March 22, 2015

Blueberry Muffins (Review of Erin McKenna's Recipe | Gluten-Free & Vegan)




I had (in the words of Adam Sandler) a hankering for blueberry muffins.
Now I had this recipe from a family member for the best blueberry muffins (involved soaking oats in orange juice...let me know if you know which recipe I'm talking about) and I haven't found it in ages, so I naturally gravitated towards Erin McKenna's recipe. Here's how it went:





First off, these muffins remind me a lot of my gluten-free and vegan scones (blueberry pear and almond nectarine) in the way that both have more of a biscuit like taste. I attribute this to the combination of the coconut oil, gluten-free flour, and the combination of leavening agents.

Second of all, I chose to not go by an important rule of thumb when baking when fruit :P I opted to not toss the blueberries (I used frozen) in a little bit of extra gf flour and of course, many blueberries sank to the bottom, resulting in a slightly more moist (borderline moist and soggy but it still tasted great) bottom. So word of advice: toss the blueberries (fresh or frozen) in a little bit of extra flour on the side before mixing them in to avoid soggy bottoms and slightly blue batter ;D

And while these muffins tasted great, there was just way too much baking powder & baking soda --- 2 tsp of each. The flavor of both were quite pronounced, and my dad ultimately threw the rest of the batch away, claiming that the leavening agents aren't gonna do any of us any good :P

Lastly, 2/3 of a cup of sweetener is quite a lot; I only added 1/3 cup of sweetener (used maple syrup instead of agave) and 1/3 cup of apple sauce. I think I'll experiment a little more a go with 2/3 of a cup of apple sauce next time and see what happens! But the 1/3 cup of applesauce replacement worked beautifully and the muffins still tasted good. 

Verdict: The muffins, although they looked overbaked and hard on the top, were actually very soft and crumbly after cooling for 15 minutes. I followed her recipe almost exactly (I didn't add xanthan gum because I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose with xanthan, i used almond milk instead, i subbed out 1/3 sweetener for applesauce, and I didn't have lemon extract/vanilla.... but I did do pretty much everything as she stated in the recipe lol), and the results weren't perfect, but I was still pleased. I definitely advise you to cut the leavening agents in half (1 tsp each only) and to toss the fruit in a little bit of flour before hand! I do want to give this recipe another try, but with a few more modifications!






xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment