March 1, 2015

Acai Bowl



Have I finally jumped on another trend?
Yes.

So the other day, I was looking up what kinds of restaurants are located in my terminal in preparation for my senior trip; turns out, there's no Starbucks, but there is a Jamba Juice. Now I have never been to Jamba Juice, so I looked up their menu, and it turns out that they have acai bowls for about $7. I then found the nutrition facts, and there's over 600 calories in each bowl. What?!

So maybe it's because they add a lot of granola in it or something, but honestly, it doesn't need to be 600 calories and it does not need to cost $7. And so here I am: making my own acai bowl for a little over $2. That's right ;) And even though hemp seeds and walnuts are higher in calories, I can control how much goes in, and I can also make sure there's no added sugar!


the kind of acai pack i found at Wegman's is by the company "Sambazon".
it comes in packs of 4 for $6.47 (so essentially about $2.10 per pack!) ---not as expensive as I expected.



Recipe: Acai Bowl
By: Hannah Claudia
_________________________________

1 pack of frozen acai puree
1/4 cup of your choice of milk (i used almond)
1/2 banana (frozen is better)

toppings i used: 
1/2 banana, sliced
handful of chopped walnuts
pinch of hemp seeds
pinch of coconut flakes
pinch of chia seeds

other topping ideas:
berries
coconut chips
granola

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Blend the acai, milk, and banana until it has the texture of sorbet (shouldn't take very long!)
2. Add your toppings and enjoy :)


                             

xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment