February 5, 2015

Vegan Portobello BBQ Tempeh "Pizzas"



ahhhhh soo good. 

(i'm talking about this "pizza", the new Chicago Fire-Chicago PD crossover episodes, and this cover of Chasing Cars by the GREY'S ANATOMY CAST!!)

On Monday, my senior cut day, I had the privilege of eating lunch at home, and I whipped up these gluten-free & vegan portobello "pizzas". There was all this slush and sleet outside, but the whole house just filled up with the smell of warm tomato sauce and I felt like I was in a pizzeria. awesome sauce. 




I tried tempeh recently, and it's actually really great! I love the substantial texture of tempeh, and while I love both tofu and tempeh, I can definitely see why tempeh makes a better "meat substitute" than tofu. It has the same chew-y texture as meat, and it's much easier to work with since it's so much firmer. 

The way I cooked my tempeh is that I steamed it for about 10 minutes, and then I cut it into small cubes. I marinated them for about 1/2 an hour (they soak up flavor very easily!) and threw'em onto the pizzas.










Recipe: Vegan Portobello Tempeh Pizzas
By: Hannah Claudia
____________________________________________

1/2 block of tempeh, cubed (about 1/2 cup of cubed tempeh)
3 tablespoons bbq sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil

2 large portobello mushrooms, washed well and patted dry
1/4 cup of marinara sauce
1 tsp oregano
1-2 tbsp of chopped parsley
 (opt:) dairy-free cheese or cashew cheese sauce

(opt:) extra veggies: bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, onions...(get creative!)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Steam the tempeh cubes for about 10 minutes.
2. After steaming, mix the marinade ingredients together and toss the tempeh in the marinade. Let the tempeh marinate for about 30 minutes. (I've let it marinade for 15 before and it tasted fine, but if you really want lots of flavor, aim for 30!)
3. Spoon some marinara sauce onto each portobello mushroom. Don't be too generous!
4. Add the oregano, a little bit of the parsley, and add the cheese (if desired).
5. Add your toppings and bake at 400*F for 15-20 minutes, or until the mushrooms are fully cooked. 



xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment