February 17, 2015

Homemade Korean BBQ Sauce (Bulgogi Sauce)


ahh double post coming your way today, because today is a snow day ;)
woke up at 6:12 am with my brother coming into my room, telling me (not me telling me for once), that it's a snow day.
best way to wake up someone at 6 in the morning.

anyways, with the Asian New Years around the corner, I thought it'd be appropriate to squeeze in another Asian recipe! 
If you've been reading my blog for a while now, you'd know that I love using Korean BBQ sauce: it's not like regular bbq sauce at all, but it's sweet and tangy, and perfect for any recipe, including homemade bulgogi. Unfortunately, the one that we get from the supermarket is full of these unpronounceable ingredients and MSG, so I set out to make my own, and hey, I think it's pretty dang good ;) The only difference between mine and the store-bought one is that I didn't add pear puree; if you want to add some extra sweetness, I think the pear puree might add a nice flavor, but I haven't tried it myself. 




Recipe: Homemade Korean BBQ Sauce
By: Hannah Claudia
________________________________________________

3/4 cup of ponzu/tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
1/4 cup of water
1/2 cup of brown sugar*
2 cloves of garlic, grated
2" piece of ginger, grated
1/2 tsp white pepper
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons tapioca starch
3 tablespoons water

(opt): scallions, sesame seeds
(opt): 1 Korean pear, pureed*

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Combine all of the ingredients (and optional ingredients if desired) except for the tapioca starch and water in a small sauce pot.
2. Combine the tapioca starch and water in a small bowl and add it to the pot.
3. Allow the mixture to thicken, stirring every now and then. (Takes about 5 minutes)
4. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mason jar.
5. Allow the mixture to cool completely before placing it in the refrigerator (this will thicken A LOT as it cools!)

*If you're adding the pear, I'd reduce the amount of sugar to no more than 1/3 cup of sugar!


I served the sauce last night on top of my coconut cashew crusted tilapia (recipe to come soon) and coconut tofu curry!

This works beautifully on tofu/tempeh, veggies, scallion pancakes, sushi (smoked salmon avocado and vegan), pizza


xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment