February 3, 2015

Crispy Almond Butter Cacao Nib Cookies



I swear these are some of the most addicting cookies ever. And they're gluten free. And vegan. Just not nut free, but you can simply sub in soy or sun butter for the almond butter and use granola for the almond meal!

I adapted Angela's recipe for Crispy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies  by using almond butter and cacao nibs instead of peanut butter and chocolate chips because a) i didn't want to use up my peanut butter ;), and b) i didn't have any dairy free chocolate chips at home. Cacao nibs are basically mini chocolate chip size pieces of the cacao bean; at first, I was surprised by how bitter they were, but I got used to it and it tastes pretty much just like chocolate chips in this cookie ;) 





I read through Angela's recipe post, and she said that her cookies spread out pretty well so she didn't flatten the dough balls. I tried doing that, and the cookies did spread out a bit (left), but not like hers, so for my second tray, I flattened the dough with my hands (right). 

Either way, the cookies were not cake-like or puffy, which was what I was going for, so I consider this a success!
I didn't use a flax egg in this recipe; I just used a regular egg straight from the refrigerator. I'm thinking that the cold egg was one of the reasons why the dough didn't spread out very well, but I'll have to get back to on that!

I think another thing that I'd have to play around with next time is the amount of salt. My mom even pointed out that the cookies were kind of salty; it's important to add a little bit of salt to any baked good because it helps with the "chemistry" process of baking (read more here), but I would probably just go with a pinch of salt instead of 1/2 a teaspoon. I did only add 1/2 a cup of sugar (brown sugar only, I did not add any white sugar), so maybe that extra 1/4 cup in her batch balanced everything out? 





Recipe: Crispy Almond Butter Cacao Nib Cookies
By: Hannah Claudia
__________________________________________________________________________

1 egg or flax egg (3 tbsp water & 1 tbsp flax meal)
1/4 cup of coconut oil
1/4 cup of almond butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 cup of oat flour (oats blended up in a food processor)
1 cup of almond meal/flour (almonds blended up in a food processor)
1/3 cup of cacao nibs
 (opt) 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes


**FOR NUT ALLERGIES: use soy/sun butter in place of the nut butter
                                                use granola instead of the almond meal/flour

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Beat the coconut oil until creamy. Add the egg, almond butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Beat until creamy.
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and gradually add it into the wet ingredients.
3. Fold in the cacao nibs and coconut.
4. Shape into tablespoon sized balls and flatten them on a baking tray.*
5. Bake at 350*F for about 12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges.
6. Let the cookies rest on a tray for 5-10 minutes on the tray and then transfer to the cooling rack for 10 minutes. They'll be soft straight from the oven, but they'll firm up as they cool! These cookies are chewy and crispy, but not crunchy in a bad way ;)

*Since mine didn't spread, I didn't find it necessary to really position the cookies that far away from each other!




these MUST be eaten with some almond milk (or whatever kind of milk you drink). 
I promise you'll love them. PROMISE. ;)

xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment