January 17, 2015

Yi Mian/Longevity Noodles (Yi-Fu Noodles) 伊面



Chinese New Year is roughly one month away, and for the first time, I'm actually really excited!
I didn't think too much of Chinese New Year in the past, but I've grown to really appreciate the culture, especially 
when it comes to traditional Chinese foods. 

After studying for two midterms (what a great way to start off my long weekend, right?) today, i"m going to make black sesame and peanut tang yuan (汤圆  or tong yun in Cantonese) and lo bak gou (萝卜)! But first, let me share this recipe for yi mian, also known as longevity noodles as they're eaten for longevity during Chinese New Year.

My brother made this a month ago (or rather, my mom made it and he took notes) for his Chinese project, and I saved this recipe for now ;) 

These noodles are not gluten-free by the way, but lots of gluten-free and vegan friendly Chinese recipes will come soon!



shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced

scallops and shrimp



Chinese Yellow chives



soy sauce, salt, sesame oil

 

Recipe: Yi Mian
By: Hannah Claudia
___________________________________

large wok
large pan

1 package of yi mian
enough hot water to cover them (several cups)

1 cup of mini shrimp & scallops, defrosted
1.5 cups shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
handful of yellow chives
3 eggs

2-3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced

2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon salt

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Bring the water to a boil and add the yi mian. Cook until softened (5-8 minutes)
2. Drain the noodles, and shock them in cold water. Drain again.
3. Heat up a large pan with oil. 
4. Once the oil is hot, cook the mushrooms until softened. Set aside.
5. Add a little more oil the pan and stir fry the garlic for a minute. 
6. Add the scallops and shrimp and cook until they're no longer translucent. Set aside. 
7. If necessary, add a little more oil and cook the chives for 1-2 minute, or until slightly softened. Set aside.
8. (again, if necessary, add more oil) and scramble the eggs. My mom prefers to cook the egg as an omelette and then cut
it into strips but you can also just start scrambling them in the pan as you cook them. Set aside.
9. Add the noodles back into the large wok. Add all of the soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt to the noodles and toss to coat.
10. Add all of the ingredients back in and cook until warmed through.



The other day, I was talking to a friend, and I was pretty surprised to realize how many people haven't eaten traditional Chinese food, which made me really sad. Not that Americanized Chinese food is "a shame" or as bad as some proud Chinese people make it to be, but traditional Chinese food tastes exponentially better and is usually much healthier. I think that Americanized Chinese food tends to give the Chinese culture a bad rep, and that's why I really want to share these traditional recipes right here on the blog, so I get to share a little bit more of the Chinese culture that I've come to appreciate a lot more so that others can better understand it and appreciate it as well :)

enjoy!

xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment