January 22, 2015

My Guide to Making the Perfect Salads

I'm DONE with my (real) midterms :)

So here is a nice and long post (not in terms of words but in terms of photos & recipes) 
full of my personal tips on making THE BEST salad.

Salad doesn't have to be rabbit food. As a kid, I learned to like salads because I liked the dressings, 
and honestly, that's one way to get some more vegetables into your diet, but here's how I learned to appreciate the
content of the salad (everything else):




There is a formula for the perfect salad (my definition of perfect, mind you), and here it is:
You need : a superfood, a crunch factor, a juice factor, a creamy factor, a protein factor, and possibly a sweet factor and a savory factor (and the over-the-top factor if you really want to get fancy)





Ideas for superfoods:
  • Dark leafy greens: kale, spinach, mixed baby greens
  • Beetroots/Beets
crunch factors:
  • nuts: pistachios, walnuts, peanuts, pecans, almonds, macadamia nuts
  • apples
  • seeds: pumpkin, sesame, sunflower
  • healthier chips (when you want to treat yourself)
  • bell peppers
  • onions
  • celery
  • carrots
  • zucchini
juice factors:
  • oranges/grapefruit
  • persimmons
  • nectarines/peaches/apricots
  • mangoes
  • tomatoes
  • watermelon
  • mushroom (they can be juicy when cooked right...right?)
creamy factors:
  • avocados (my go-to; I eat 1/2 a day) or guacamole
  • sweet potatoes/white potatoes/ ube (purple yams)
  • squash: acorn squash, pumpkin, kabocha (japanese pumpkin, my favorite!)
  • hummus
  • peas
protein factors:
  • tofu
  • beans: chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, lentils
  • eggs: hard/soft/medium boiled, poached, fried
  • quinoa (which is a seed, not a grain)
  • meat (for meat eaters)
  • seafood (for seafood eaters)
sweet factors:
  • dried fruit: craisens, cherries
  • corn kernels
savory factors: 
  • sun-dried tomatoes (AH-mazing)
over-the-top factors:
  • fresh herbs: mint, basil, cilantro, parsley, scallions
  • seaweed seasoning/furikake (be careful though! many contain hydrolyzed soy protein, which often contains msg and is possibly a gmo)
  • grated ginger


Now of course, I don't add EVERYTHING into one salad; that would take much too long. Sometimes I do put a little more effort, but honestly, I usually throw things together, trying to incorporate at least one item from at least 4-5 categories (superfood, creamy factor, crunch factor, sweet factor, juice factor). 







Egg Salad (my FAVORITE. ten times better than any weird looking egg salad at a deli counter; I pair it with my homemade sauerkraut)



 

                                  Kale & Persimmon Salad                                                                         Tofu Pomegranate Salad















enjoy ;)

xoxo, han





1 comment:

  1. New Diet Taps into Revolutionary Concept to Help Dieters LOSE 12-23 Pounds within Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete