January 30, 2015

Deconstructed Sushi Bowl



If I could only eat one meal for the rest of my life, hands down, it would be this. There's nothing more comforting that a bowl full of grains (I'm a fan of brown rice), creamy avocado chunks, a runny yolk, and salty seaweed. I think of this as a deconstructed sushi roll, kind of like the burrito bowls at Chipotle/Qdoba. I know that Benji eats this all the time with nato, fermented Japanese soybeans; I've never tried them and I'm not too sure how I'd react, but this tastes great as it is already ;) Get creative with this and add other ingredients; it doesn't really represent a "sushi roll bowl" because most sushi rolls don't have poached eggs wrapped up, but that's just something I like!


In the past, I struggled to poach eggs; but I've finally discovered the little secret that not too many websites/tutorials share:
The key to getting your poached egg to have that perfectly ovular shape is to use a room temperature egg!

I've tried everything, from adding vinegar to the water, to using a sieve to separate the thick egg white from the runnier part, and this key tip was the one thing that kept me from making a aesthetically perfect poached egg in the past. As always, don't forget to crack your egg in a separate ramekin first, bring the pot of water to a rolling boil, stir the water to create a little vortex, and stir the water to perpetuate the vortex after you add the egg. And of course, this requires trial and error ;)


Recipe: Brown Rice, Poached Egg, & Avocado Bowl
By: Hannah Claudia
_________________________________________________________

1 bowl of brown rice
1 egg, poached
1/2 avocado, sliced (lemon juice is optional)
roasted & salted seaweed/nori sheets
(opt:) sesame seeds, chopped scallions

variations:
replace the egg with tofu or tempeh
add other vegetables: cucumber slices, shredded carrots
add meat/seafood
replace the brown rice with quinoa, oatmeal, any other kind of rice, cauliflower rice

::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Toss everything in a bowl and enjoy!



i can't get these blogger to keep these photos in their normal landscape orientation for some reason :( 


and while google can't keep my photos in the proper orientation, it worked some magic on this photo (above) that I took one year ago...
....go figure.

enjoy your friday!

xoxo, han






No comments:

Post a Comment