January 28, 2015

Black Sesame Pumpkin Oatmeal



I officially have a new favorite oatmeal pairing, and it's even better than my classic nut butter + banana combination (although, who am I kidding, that's always wonderful). 

Also, I officially have a cold. Fortunately I rested (despite doing hw) with the past early dismissal and snow day this week, and today, I came home early. And you know what? I was so much more productive...and my head hurts even worse now :P good job han.


I've begun to soak my oatmeal now; I realize that the phytic acid might not be super significant but given that I eat oatmeal nearly every single day, I should really start soaking the oatmeal because that phytic acid adds up. I followed Kassie's method of soaking the oats, and maybe this is just a placebo, but I honestly think that I do think that the oatmeal digests more easily and it also cooks a whole lot more easily. Plus, the texture is a lot creamier!



How to Soak Oats & Cook Soaked Oats:

1/2 cup of oats
1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
about 1/2 cup of distilled water (enough to cover the oats)

a glass jar/a bowl & lid
(opt: ) a mesh strainer

your choice of milk or water (I usually add enough to cover the oats and a little extra)
small sauce pot to cook the oatmeal in
wooden spoon/silicon spatula

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Add the apple cider vinegar and water to the container.
2. Add the oats to the container and make sure they're fully immersed.
3. Soak for up to 24 hours (I usually just soak it overnight)

4. In the morning, before you cook it, drain the apple cider vinegar-water mixture from the oats.
5. Rinse the oats several times to remove the sour taste (when you can't smell it, then the taste won't be there!)
6. Add to a small sauce pot and cover with as much of your desired milk/water as you'd like. Cook over medium heat
until the oats have softened and the mixture has thickened. 



*For the longest time, I ate 1/4 cup of oats each morning, but now, I actually think that these oats digest a lot quicker and don't fill me up as much if they're soaked, so I think I'll probably increase the amount of oats from 1/4 to 1/2 a cup from now on.



this is my way of using up leftover toasted black sesame filling from my Black Sesame Tang Yuan.


Recipe: Black Sesame Pumpkin Oatmeal
By: Hannah Claudia
________________________________________

soaked & cooked oats (see above)
1 banana, sliced

your desired amounts of:  
pumpkin puree or pumpkin butter you'd like (I go for 2 spoonfuls)
pumpkin seeds (I go for 1/8 cup)
toasted black sesame seed filling (I go for 1 spoonful)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Mix it up and enjoy!




photos from my mini snow storm juno selfie photoshoot are coming tomorrow!
for now, i'm gonna be chilling out in bed, eating peanut butter & apples, watching friends, and not doing anymore work :P


xoxo, han





No comments:

Post a Comment