January 31, 2015

Almond and Orange Pumpkin Glazed Spoon Bread Muffins






You may have noticed that my blog design has changed quite a bit ;)
Well, with my past few days of illness, I've had quite some time to lay in bed and attempt to improve my blog design; I have very limited knowledge of web design, let alone zero knowledge about html code (unfortunately, my struggles with java don't help). But researching is my little hidden joy ;), so I scoured the web for tutorials and tips. I hope the design that you're looking at right now looks a little more professional :D; aesthetics are important when attracting a wider audience, so that's why I also want to try to spend a little more time on taking better photos. Unfortunately, that means that I kind of have to compromise daily blogging, which I don't really want to do...not yet, anyways. So I'll try to post as many high quality photos as possible, but expect a few nighttime photos here or there :P




anyways, this recipe starts off with a very humble base: grits.

I was inspired by a recipe for a Roasted Pear and Spoon Bread Tart that I clipped from a magazine a while back, but I didn't have any stone-ground cornmeal, so I used grits instead. To be honest, I've never eaten grits or polenta before, but my grandma gave us this box of grits and I didn't know what to do with it! Corn muffins were my favorite ever since I ate them for the first time during my kindergarten "Thanksgiving dinner" ;) (I was a pilgirm!) Unfortunately, they usually have a lot of sugar, but this one is diabetic friendly. I followed the recipe exactly with the 1 tablespoon of honey, but to be honest, I don't think it makes too big of a difference, so if you can't have any sugar at all, just omit it!

The grits leave a very grainy texture (my dad said it was like rice :P), but I didn't mind too much. Plus, this recipe is completely gluten free so how can I complain?!


This muffin is very fluffy, so grease your pan well! I even used a non-stick, but some of the muffins weren't as compliant.
And while these muffins were more dessert like because of the sweet glaze topping, they're extremely versatile and can compliment any savory meal too! Pair it with some chili or (if you eat meat) chicken fried steak (going that southern route) ;)







Recipe: Almond and Orange Pumpkin Glazed Spoon Bread Muffins
By: Hannah Claudia
Adapted from: diabeticlivingonline
___________________________________________________________________

for the muffin:
1 cup water
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal or grits
2 tablespoons of oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup milk of your choice (i used almond)
2 egg whites
1 egg

1 muffin tin, greased

(optional!) for the topping:
almond butter
equal parts orange juice & pumpkin butter
almond slices

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Preheat the oven to 375*F. Add the muffin tin there and let it preheat with the oven.
2. In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Once it is boiling, remove it from the heat, stir in the cornmeal/grits.
3. Place the pot back on medium heat and cook for another 2 minutes. It should be very thick by now, so keep stirring!
4. Pour the grit/cornmeal mixture into a large mixing bowl, add the oil, salt, and honey. Stir and let it cool for 3 minutes, or until you can stick your finger in the mixture for at least 5 minutes.
5. Add the milk, egg whites, and egg to the batter. Whisk using an electric mixer for 2 minutes until very smooth. The batter will be thin.
6. Take the muffin tin out of the oven, grease the muffin tin, and pour the batter into the muffin tin. 
7. Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
8. Let the muffins cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes! (this is very important)
9. (optional) Spread the almond butter on the muffin first. Then dollop the orange pumpkin glaze on top, sprinkle some of the toasted & grounded up black sesame seeds, and top with a few almond slices :)









xoxo, han

No comments:

Post a Comment