November 21, 2014

Homemade Sauerkraut

I've finally come to the decision that it's no use to mope every now and then about how it's frustrating to see everyone's life fold out upon them just as they want it while I sit back and wait for news. I can't do anything about it, and I also know that whatever the news is, it's what's meant to be. I've done everything that I could possibly do, and heck, I'm happy with it. So I should stay happy with it.

When frustration gets in the way, my go-to, productive task that I resort to is cooking. I'll definitely sit around, maybe cry (cause I'm a cry baby; just ask anyone), eat some (no..a lot) of peanut butter), watch a lot of my favorite shows, but I'll also cook. 

There's something so therapeutic about cooking; it's practically second nature to me, so all I have to think about is how the flavor will work together, what other spins I can throw to make the recipe unique, how I can make something healthier. Everything else just disappears. 


Now, this recipe, sauerkraut, isn't very time consuming, but it's simple, easy, and requires some chopping. So think of it like the prep work that's done to make an apple pie (doesn't it take forever to chop those apples?!) but extremely extremely healthy.

I've never eaten sauerkraut in my entire life up until two weeks ago; I used to think of sauerkraut as the weird topping on top of hot dogs. Well, it's actually not that bad. In fact, I really like it. Sauerkraut, aka fermented cabbage, is full of probiotics. Of course you can buy sauerkraut, but you have to make sure that the only ingredients are cabbage, water, salt, and any natural spices (like caraway seeds). Anything else makes it very questionable. At the same time, the trustworthy store-bought jars of sauerkraut are very pricey. The first time I tried sauerkraut, I got a small jar (roughly 2 cups worth) and it costed nearly $8. A whole head of organic green cabbage at Wegman's costs less than $3 ($1.49 per lb). That's at least 6 cups of sauerkraut! 

So you get the point; making sauerkraut is not only a good way to relieve stress because it's such a simple recipe and requires the therapeutic action of shredding cabbage, but it's also healthy and super cheap and yummy. 
Now without further ado, let's get to the recipe:


read this post for more information! I found it to be really helpful



Recipe: Homemade Sauerkraut
By: Hannah Claudia
_______________________________

2-3 leaves of cabbage
2 cups of shredded cabbage
1 tablespoon of salt
(opt. for taste) caraway seeds
(opt. for taste) 1 tablespoon miso paste
distilled water (purified water, not tap!)

large mason jar

::::::::::::::::::

1. Put the cabbage in a large, clean bowl.
2. Sprinkle the salt all over the cabbage.
3. With clean hands, rub the salt into the cabbage. It may not seem like there's enough salt, but there is; soon enough, the 
cabbage will release some juices.
3. (opt) In a small bowl, mix a small splash of water with about a tablespoon of miso paste.
4. Fill a clean mason jar with the cabbage and the juices. Pack everything in tightly with a wooden spoon.
(It's best to leave some room; approximately 1-2 inches of the jar unfilled)
5. Roll up each leaf of cabbage and tuck them right on top of the cabbage in the jar to create a "barrier".
6. Pour water into the jar; just enough to cover the cabbage. Add in the miso-water mixture.
7. Place a lid on the jar and place it in a cool, dry area for at least 3 days.






sauerkraut, tofu with hummus dressing, chips & guac




xoxo, hannah






No comments:

Post a Comment