November 3, 2014

Books That Have Changed Me


Last night, I had a late night orchestra rehearsal, and let me tell you, driving there and back was SCARY.
Who knew it could get so dark at 7 pm? 
I think it was so scary because we had spent 1.5 hrs rehearsing a piece by Shostakovich (Quartet No. 8 movement 2 & 3) and  the theme to Schindler's List (the most beautiful and sad song I've ever heard), it was freaking dark outside, there weren't ANY cars around, and it was COOOLD. 

But anyways, playing Schindler's List got me thinking about some of the life-changing books I've read in the past, including a few that was about the Holocaust. 
Here are the ones I can list off the top of my head:

1. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
2. The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen
3. The Crucible by Arthur Miller
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper E. Lee
5. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini 
6. Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
7. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
8. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss
9. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck


I'm not trying to say that Harry Potter isn't memorable, because the Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favorite books, but the books listed above are the ones that have made a profound difference in my life.

These books might make you cry. I'm just warning you.
But they're absolutely fantastic; some I read when I was 8, others I read when I was 15, but I think anyone of any age will enjoy any of these books. That's a lot of anys. Anyways...read these books ;)

xoxo, hannah




No comments:

Post a Comment