November 16, 2014

Alton Brown Live


I breathed the same air as Alton Brown.
Life is nearly complete.

Last night, my parents took me out to see Alton Brown Live at the Beacon Theater in NYC (my birthday gift), and I honestly did not know what to expect from the show. I knew it had to be good because it's Alton Brown for crying out loud, but I had no expectations whatsoever going into this. I did know, from reading a few reviews, that it was going to have some demonstrations involving an easy bake oven and ice cream. 

Well, I'm not going to give away the show, but it was amazing. It was funny, it had the audience literally sitting on the edge of their seats (also due to the Beacon's weird steepness of the chairs in the balcony but whatever), it had music, it had science, and we have fun.
It was interactive too! He had a live Twitter Q&A session, an audience "scream" test (you'll get it if you go ;) ),  food experiments that required volunteers (over 18 though people ;( ). It was really great. It never occurred to me that he'd have all these crazy and funny stories, but he had so many, and immediately after the show, I jotted down every single part of his show so that I'd remember all of his jokes and stories. And there was a lot of science-y, biolog-y (lol) things that I just can't wait to share with my biology teacher Monday morning. It was awesome. He even took into account the boredom that audience members face 10 minutes before the show and 5 minutes before intermission ends by having little videos of puppets play on the screen. 

I wished soo badly that my brother came but when my mom originally bought the tickets, he said that he'd be "too busy". Dang.
Please please please don't give up the opportunity to see this show if the opportunity arises, because you will not regret it. 


We weren't allowed to take photos of the show, so here's a few photos of the gorgeous theater (bad part: very difficult for people on the top balcony (there's 3 stories) to see things when he came very close to the edge of the stage (closer to the front row), but he didn't do that too often...also, the heads of the people in front of you may occasionally get in the way.)




(photo: courtesy of Alton Brown; I'm sitting in the 2nd "section" from the left on the third floor, in the middle of the right side of that section that's divided by that giant "box" in the middle!)

thanks mom and dad :)
xoxo, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment