October 25, 2014

Review: OhSheGlow's Pumpkin Oatmeal Anytime Squares


i LOVE ohsheglow's blog. it's amazing.

so naturally, when i came upon her "Pumpkin Oatmeal Anytime Squares" recipe, 
I had to make them!



I didn't have any almond flour on hand, so I just added an extra 1/2 cup of oat flour and a 1/4 cup of flax meal.
I also cut down the sugar by adding 1/2 cup of brown sugar (didn't have coconut sugar on hand) and I couldn't get my flax egg to gel up properly, so I used a regular egg.
And I didn't have any arrowroot powder or vegan chocolate chips, so I just went ahead without those and topped the bars with pecans and coconut chips. 


Given all of the changes that I made, I didn't know what to expect. 
One big mistake I think I made is adding those coconut chips; these are the ones that I got from Costco a few weeks ago and they're soo chewy that they hurt my teeth :( The pecans are fine though.

One thing that I'm not use to, which is all based on a personal preference, is how dense the bars are. The rolled oats makes it chewy too, and I guess home girl's teeth aren't that strong because my jaw feels slightly strained after eating 2 bars for breakfast.

But nevertheless, I think it was a fun thing to make; I'm all out of almond butter so regular oatmeal just wouldn't be the same, so this is a great (and quick since it's pre-made) breakfast that's also portable. I'm not sure if I'd make it again since I'm just personally not a fan of dense, chewy bars; dense and moist are fine (aka brownies), but my teeth need a break sometimes.


If you haven't checked out OhSheGlow's blog, DO IT!

xoxo, hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment